Default Wicked Battles - Pre-release Q & A

Something wicked this way comes on MyMGN...

Pre-release
    Q & A

1. General Questions

What is the "Wicked Battles Platform" or "Wicked Battles Portal" or simply "Wicked Battles" (WBP)?

It is a personal project of mine (K[a]ne) supported by MyMGN.
    The idea is to create a ubiquitous platform to host and support inhouse leagues, tours, and games for DotA 2.

What does "ubiquitous" mean?

Ubiquitous in this context means that users will be able to access WBP through multiple websites, devices, and platforms (including Steam and IRC).

What is the current status of this project?

The status of the project as of 24/08/2012 is "under development".

When will WBP be ready and released?

My plan is to start an open beta of the project within September 2012. The open beta will mainly consist of forming a Greek DotA 2 League to test WBP's capabilities and appeal.
    Then we will expand to form European or international leagues, based on the demand and appeal of the project.
    I should note that I am developing this project as a hobby. My priority is always my full time job so all WBP deadlines are rough estimates.

2. Development

Who is developing this project?

I am the main developer working on this as a hobby. SoulStalk3r is the art designer and Sn0w_Bl4cK is helping with small parts of the code.

What is involved in the development of the project?

Development is currently focusing on the core implementation. This mainly involves coding the server application in PHP. It can be divided in three parts: Database design, Platform implementation, and Interface design. The Database design has to do with designing database tables, queries, scripts, triggers, etc. in SQL. Platform implementation is split into the core backend (PHP libraries) and the API that will provide the main functionality (commands, game and player management, statistics, etc.), both in PHP. Finally, the interface design has four parts: the HTML5/CSS2 website, the IRC eggdrop bot, the connections with the MyMGN vbulletin forum, and the connection with a Steam bot.

How far have you progressed?

I am updating my MyMGN Forum signature with an estimate on the progress made in each parts. Note that not all parts need to be finished to start testing the platform.

I want to help with the project! What can I do?

At the moment, I only need more coders. Anybody that knows any of the following and wants to help can PM me:
    PHP, HTML5/CSS, TCL/TK, VBulletin plugin coding.
    As long as the project is under development, this is the only help I need, plus any feedback you may have for this FAQ.

3. Features for players

Why would a player join WBP?

WBP will offer inhouse leagues and games as well as tours. It will help organize individual communities so that their members can play arranged games. For example, the "Clan NoL" league will be the place to host and play games with other Greek players.

Yes but why wouldn't people play using the DotA 2 matchmaking client?

Because the DotA 2 client only restricts the people it matches you up with based on a particular server location. People of a specific community may be connected through other means (physical location, acquaintance, skill level, common interests, fans of a common page/caster etc). WBP will allow all these communities to develop their own public or private leagues with minimum effort.

What kind of games will WBP support?

At a first stage, each league's admins will be able to set up custom games based on their own preferences. We will offer support for internal stats, ratings, and matchmaking. Hopefully when Valve eventually develops the DotA 2 API further, WBP will be better integrated with Steam.

What other player features will you support?

A player will be able to check upon his stats for any of our supported leagues through Web, IRC, or Steam. Moreover, they will be able to look up available games, other members' stats, sign up for a game or tour, view results of games or tours, add themselves in a queue for the next available game etc.

I will be posting more Q&A's on a regular basis... Stay tuned...
    Last edited by K[a]ne; 08-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote της χρονιάς 2013:
    ( Click to show/hide )

(Σε admin abuse report για "άκυρο ban για mh".)
    Quote Originally Posted by pondering View Post
    Pantws fyi to mh htan kleisto apo thn stigmh pou to eides kai meta. To exw mono kai mono otan eimai apolyta sigouros oti kapoios paizei me mh kai mono tote to anoigw opote min dikaiologeis ton eauto sou oti exases logw autou. Ta leme se kapoio allo game pou tha xaseis apo mena.

Latest update: 08/09/2012
    Last edited by K[a]ne; 08-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Quote της χρονιάς 2013:
    ( Click to show/hide )

(Σε admin abuse report για "άκυρο ban για mh".)
    Quote Originally Posted by pondering View Post
    Pantws fyi to mh htan kleisto apo thn stigmh pou to eides kai meta. To exw mono kai mono otan eimai apolyta sigouros oti kapoios paizei me mh kai mono tote to anoigw opote min dikaiologeis ton eauto sou oti exases logw autou. Ta leme se kapoio allo game pou tha xaseis apo mena.