Thread: Difficulty

Default Difficulty

You have been accused by many reviews that a couple of stages of your game required walkthrough and I've even depicted in my own review that sometimes the ingame help was not enough. In addition games such as Journey To The Moon don't make a good impression on medium players. What do you think? Do you feel that the accusions are not reasonable?
    Currently Playing: Myst 10th Anniversary Edition

Default Re: Difficulty

When I say "don't make a good impression on medium players" I mean on casual players who don't want to spend a lot of work to understand single puzzles

Quote Originally Posted by Valdventurer
    You have been accused by many reviews that a couple of stages of your game required walkthrough and I've even depicted in my own review that sometimes the ingame help was not enough. In addition games such as Journey To The Moon don't make a good impression on medium players. What do you think? Do you feel that the accusions are not reasonable?
    i believe that the difficulty of voyage was set just right... rtmi was a bit on the easy side... i wouldn't base anything on the fact that some ppl needed walkthroughs... if you check the hints & tips section of ja forum right now, you'll see ppl being stuck on nibiru, which is THE most straightforward, give you everything on a silver platter, game... the main thing with voyage is that all puzzles, the easy ones and the tough ones, made perfect sense, and there were enough clues for each and every one of them if you paid close attention!

When I say "don't make a good impression on medium players" I mean on casual players who don't want to spend a lot of work to understand single puzzles
    what do you do in this case though? make the game a walk in the park so that the casual player won't have to work on puzzles, or keep the difficulty in good levels so that the adventurer gets the most out of the game, and the casual player can consult a walkthrough?

I would really appreciate it if I had my question's answered first by developer's side and then quoted by rest fans . I just don't believe that there is need to defend on anybody's side, I'm not trying to corner anybody.

It's true that some casual gamers were disappointed, we have seen that some players were waiting for more clues and we thought that we had enough clues ... In fact the approach is more difficult for this game, it's possible to start lot's of things at the same time which was something supposed to be good from the non linearity point of view, but in fact some players were finally lost !
    I think that players who have finished the game can confirm that in fact there are lot's of clues, very often 2 ou 3 differents clues for a same puzzle ... but certainly too hidden ! Some puzzle were difficult but it was always possible to bypass them (for instance for music puzzles).
    For the medival game, we plan to propose a help to the players to clearly defines there goals. We will learn about this issue.

I appreciate your reply because it's honest and not trying to defend the game at all costs. All in all I really loved it and it really was an A grade game but that doesn't mean we shouldn't depict probable disadvantages because then you wouldn't improve and your team is well aware of that I hope.

I would really appreciate it if I had my question's answered first by developer's side and then quoted by rest fans . I just don't believe that there is need to defend on anybody's side, I'm not trying to corner anybody.
    actually i wasn't defending voyage... i was defending every game that tries to be a little more challenging and gets bashed by ppl who want games that end in 30 mins... :

Quote Originally Posted by Aya
    what do you do in this case though? make the game a walk in the park so that the casual player won't have to work on puzzles, or keep the difficulty in good levels so that the adventurer gets the most out of the game, and the casual player can consult a walkthrough?
    A new helping system will be added to offer both freedom and hints

Sorry Aya is too fast for me ! ;-)

I appreciate your reply because it's honest and not trying to defend the game at all costs. All in all I really loved it and it really was an A grade game but that doesn't mean we shouldn't depict probable disadvantages because then you wouldn't improve and your team is well aware of that I hope.
    We used to read forums and reviews to analyse how to propose a better experience and to see where we miss. BTW, Thanks for the grade ! ;-)