Default Question about Ankh and Linux/Mac

Hi,

As some of the technical people may know, Ankh is being developed using the open source 3D library ogre, which is multiplatform.

I'm mostly a Linux user who only boots to windows in order to play games, but have already converted (not core gamers) people to have a PC with 100% Linux, which they keep (and have kept for more than a year, so I guess it's not just to keep me happy ).

This thread is not about bashing Windows or Linux, or calling for the superiorities of both operating systems, but I have a few questions:

Do you know if Ankh can/will be developed for alternative platforms? Currently Linux adventure gamers only have ScummVM, Dosbox and sometimes Wine (a windows emulator) to play adventures. Being developed in Ogre, Ankh could be ported easily to these platforms.

Is it the publisher or the developer's decision to support an additional platform? If so, would MicroApp be bold enough to take the step (nudge, nudge)?

Edit: and I think Keepsake has been written using Crystal Space which is also multiplatform

Default Re: Question about Ankh and Linux/Mac

Actually, we have no plans for other version than the Windows one. We have nothing against Linux or any other OS but we have to focus our efforts on the Windows version to get it on time with the quality level it deserves. The other reason is the DirectX platform which we think is very comfortable for end users as it avoids most hardware compatibility problems.

ok, thanks for answering.

(btw, Ogre is platform independent, so it's independent from DirectX and/or OpenGL )

I agree that is has no direct link with DirectX but it is already difficult to be sure not to have any troubles with the various Windows drivers... Each PC is different and getting an additional OS compatibility would double the testing time...