Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam and Max 2

Default Re: Sam and Max 2

Spring! SPRING! *cry* :'(

in some other countries are not so lucky.
    *cough cough* Great Britain. (a country without Runaway, The Westerner and possibly not 80 Day).

I personally don´t like and probably will never really like the episode concept - not if I have to pay $20 Bucks for each 3-5 hour episode. That´s also why I never bought the first Bone episode, even though I really really liked the demo. But I won´t buy it for that price.

For me, paying for a digital-only product, the price must be one that allows for spontaneous purchases, which is maybe $10 max, the same I would pay to go out and see a movie at the theater.

I would much rather pay 30-40 Bucks for a boxed version - if I don´t like it or if I feel it´s not worth playing again, I can sell it on ebay. And if I like it, I can put it next to my other old games, which I still like to look at, even if I just take out the box and just think about the good times I had playing the game.

Very valid point, in fact, this springs another question.

Recently, Pinhead games have allowed people to buy their freeware games for a minimal price on CD, boxed, where the publisher doesn't get any extra profit. They did this to allow those without broadband to play their games. Will boxed editions of your games ever be discussed or is it too early to say?

What I would like to do with the Sam and Max episodes is to make each one mostly self-contained but (possibly) all part of a bigger story with threads that continue throughout the series. On the other hand, the nature of Sam and Max could just as easily support each game being self-contained (like the tv cartoon series). None of this is official, mind you, just my own musing.

Boxed versions of our games have been discussed, and we're open to it. We are basically open to anything that makes financial sense for us. I don't think its ever possible to make large numbers of people all happy at the same time, but we keep looking at new things all the time with this goal in mind. We are a company that has to make money to stay in business, but overall our goal is to bring people something that they will love and enjoy in a way that is convenient for them.

HLL

Quote Originally Posted by Buteo
    I would much rather pay 30-40 Bucks for a boxed version - if I don´t like it or if I feel it´s not worth playing again, I can sell it on ebay. And if I like it, I can put it next to my other old games, which I still like to look at, even if I just take out the box and just think about the good times I had playing the game.
    Although they're sensitive to your concerns, I don't think that Telltale is in business to assure people that they're going to be able to sell their games on eBay, where TTG won't be seeing any of that money. And actually, since these games are going to be distributed online, they can't go "out of print" or become rarities, so no one will be buying them on eBay anyway. Well, no one who isn't a sillyhead, at least.

I'll admit, boxes are nice to gaze at and hold lovingly in one's hands, caressing and fondling all night. But I think I can survive not being able to do that. At least, I won't likely pay extra, but if others are willing to, I'm sure Telltale will consider the possibility.

Heather- if you're still here...

I've read that Purcell owns the storyline to that previous cancelled incarnation of a Sam & Max game (of which you disavow all knowledge). Given that, is it possible that some of the storyline and/or minigame concepts from "the past" may sneak into one of your episodes in some form or another?

I've seen an amazing dancing minigame sequence, and hope that something similar can be reproduced in one of your games...

What I would like to do with the Sam and Max episodes is to make each one mostly self-contained but (possibly) all part of a bigger story with threads that continue throughout the series.
    That seems like a very popular idea. I'm down with it - standalone episodes, but with some story threads that continue through the whole season. More X-Files than Seinfeld. This also rewards those who buy the every episode, but of course shouldn't disadvantage anyone who only buys a few episodes.

Ant Heather, can you ask if one of your designers to whip up a 300dpi Bone coversheet that can be printed on A4 / Letter paper and slipped into a DVD case. Cause it may help placate the box fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by artwking4
    Although they're sensitive to your concerns, I don't think that Telltale is in business to assure people that they're going to be able to sell their games on eBay, where TTG won't be seeing any of that money. And actually, since these games are going to be distributed online, they can't go "out of print" or become rarities, so no one will be buying them on eBay anyway. Well, no one who isn't a sillyhead, at least.
    I disagree - and you´re not thinking this all the way to the end... people will buy them on ebay for the same reason I only want to buy boxed versions - because they want to be able to resell them if they didn´t like what they got for their money. Sure, it´s not in Telltale´s best interest if their games get resold on ebay, but that´s just what a free economy is all about - if they make great games, the chances of them being resold are much less...

And don´t overestimate the average gamer´s willingness to pay - especially when we´re talking about adventure games. I myself consider myself to be very interested in this genre and willing to pay good money for a good game... and some of my friends and colleagues feel the same way, but every single one of them I asked told me the same thing - they won´t accept a price of $20 for a non-physical product... and with the already quite small target group of adventure games (compared to other genres) this is not a good starting point for a successfull download business.

But I wish the best to Telltale - as soon as you bring boxed products, I´ll start buying

But I wish the best to Telltale - as soon as you bring boxed products, I´ll start buying
    I don't know, but I think Telltale IS going to listen to people and offer "physical" copies of games. I doubt they'll be in beautiful hand-carved boxes encrusted with gold and gems that everyone seems to covet so much (okay, just lovely, glossy, printed cardboard, but that's still an extra expense that just isn't going to be cost effective for a company that mostly deals in online distribution - we still won't be seeing these games in stores until there's enough to fill a compilation disc or something). So we'll probably all be happy in some way. But I wouldn't count on lovely cardboard boxes. DVD cases are the most likely option. Those are nicer anyway. I'm irritated because my Psychonauts box has started breaking down, and the glue has failed already. Wouldn't have happened if it were in a DVD case. :-\

Right, that I totally agree on - I don´t expect them to be able to provide these special "luxury" boxes that some of the old games came with - even though it seems to be a re-emerging trend in computer games, if you look at some of the new "limited edition" releases of new games. But that is most likely not profitable in a limited market such as the adventure games market.

So I would be fine with a DVD box or anything similar...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12