Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Vampyre Story

Default Re: A Vampyre Story

I don't understand why X360 nullifies the Xbox. There's a large installed base, and the Xbox is quite powerful, especially for a 2D/3D game.

ka3d.com doesn't look promising. There's a comparison table claiming this engine is better than Epic's, id's, Valve's and Crytek's, and all they have to show is some rather primitive screenshots.

Why would AVS require a 3D engine, actually?

Quote Originally Posted by zoganily
    My user name is the names of my three children; Zo, Logan and Lily. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by shae
    I don't understand why X360 nullifies the Xbox. There's a large installed base, and the Xbox is quite powerful, especially for a 2D/3D game.

ka3d.com doesn't look promising. There's a comparison table claiming this engine is better than Epic's, id's, Valve's and Crytek's, and all they have to show is some rather primitive screenshots.

Why would AVS require a 3D engine, actually?

Sales for Xbox games have fallen off dramatically. I wouldn't rule it out, but that would be decision the publisher would have to make. I would make one for sure, but the publishers would have to think it is a safe bet. So try to convince them, not me. i'd do because I like the Xbox better than the PS2 having worked on games for both systems. Developing for Xbox is so much easier.

Im sorry to hear the Ka3d doesnt look good to you, but like I said Im not too worried about it because those other games probably didnt have the artists working on I have. Plus as one of my friends and excellent programmer Yuan Wang (Descent, and Jedi Knight) keeps saying is our game design doesnt require cutting edge engine.

What I concern myself with more is the game design and the dialogue, THAT is where the game will shine. We arent trying to make Unreal 2007 or Doom4, just a nice up grade to the Grime (Grim Fandango engine) engine is all we really need. If we fail to make a good game it wont be due to the engine limitations.

Well we need 3D engine for the animation and the character models and for the virtual multiplane camera effects. We also need it for scrolling UVs, for particle effects (fire, smoke, rain, snow, mist, fog) as well for scaling the character models. 3d character models scale better in a 3d engine than they do in 2d raster (non Flash) based engines. With 3d we can do quick costume and texture changes, dynamic lighting on the characters and props, and few can speed up animation times be eliminating the need to ink and paint, and the need to animate each walk direction. Real time 3d offers so many great graphical options and gives you so much flexibility. I am really, really excited by it actually. I fell freed up to do a lot of things the old SCUMM engine couldnt do so well, or do at all.

-Bill

Well we need 3D engine for the animation and the character models and for the virtual multiplane camera effects. We also need it for scrolling UVs, for particle effects (fire, smoke, rain, snow, mist, fog) as well for scaling the character models. 3d character models scale better in a 3d engine than they do in 2d raster (non Flash) based engines. With 3d we can do quick costume and texture changes, dynamic lighting on the characters and props, and few can speed up animation times be eliminating the need to ink and paint, and the need to animate each walk direction. Real time 3d offers so many great graphical options and gives you so much flexibility. I am really, really excited by it actually. I fell freed up to do a lot of things the old SCUMM engine couldnt do so well, or do at all.
    Of course 3D is easier and more flexible for characters and suchlike, I just didn't realize the game was going to be such a large departure from the common 2D/3D mixture, enough to require a full 3D engine.

That makes it all sound quite intriguing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12