Thread: Gray Matter

Default Gray Matter

First, hello to the Anaconda developers and thank you very much for this opportunity. My questions pertain to Gray Matter, my most anticipated adventure game. I am also forwarding questions from two of my friends.

Krss' questions:

1. Do you know who will act the voices of the characters?
    2. Do you have any more news about the story or the characters' profile?
    3. When is the official website for the game going online?
    4. Do you have a tentative release date for the game and for a demo?
    5. What screen resolution will the game be in?

Marion's questions:

1. Do you know yet who will compose the music for the game?
    2. What news do you have about the gameplay?
    3. Will it be a worldwide release (and if not, in which countries will it be released)?

Almirena's questions:

1. Sam certainly resembles Jane Jensen somewhat in physical type - was the character of Sam inspired at all by this resemblance?
    2. There's a recurring theme of motorbikes - is this because of the public (and gameplayers') perception of motorbikes as an exciting way to get from A to Z, or is it because Jane has a soft spot for motorbikes?
    3. From the information given by Jane Jensen at the press conference in Leipzig, one tends to feel more empathy with Sam than with Styles. Is this because Styles' character is intrinsically more enigmatic, or is he a character whose personality will be more fully realised to the player in the actual game?
    4. Will the style of music for the game reflect the gothic, almost romantically haunting look of what we've seen so far of the game in the Leipzig Conference, or will it create a deliberately edgier feel in contrast to that look?
    5. Will the players see much of Oxford? It's such a fascinating place with buildings that would look gorgeous in the game, and we've already been privileged to see some stunning artwork to create locations in Jane Jensen's previous games.
    6. Will the players get a real taste of London? With the magician's club being located there, it's a mouth-watering possibility, as London itself has to be one of the most exciting and richly historical cities of the world.
    7. Has Jane Jensen already planned or envisaged further games in the series, and if so, would they continue the theme of the mysterious and wondrous abilities of the human mind? For that matter, are both Styles and Sam expected to feature in those future stories?
    8. Can I have the email of someone affiliated with Gray Matter whom I can interview for an adventure game magazine?

Quite a few questions. :P Don't worry, if you reply to all of them, I think I can come up with more.

Default Re: Gray Matter

If I can, I'd like to add a few questions:

I'm curious how long will be the game? GK games offered long, gratyfying stories, but nowadays games are shorter. Is Gray Matter planned as a game one can play for a long time (lets say a week) or for few afternoons.

It's connected with another question: how demanding task are prepared for players? GK series has great puzzles - one just have to think not only click and watch. I hope Grey Matter won't be a game, which almost tells what to do next, leaving little space for thinking. I'm playing adventure games to play not to click and watch.
    ...the room was so low, that pancakes should be eaten spread...

Hi Krss (and my regards to your friends ;D),

I'm sorry that I can't answer all of your questions at this point, as the game is still at quite an early stage of development.

1. Do you know who will act the voices of the characters?
    Localization (that is final texts, voice acting etc.) does not usually happen until a few months before release, so I'm afraid there is no information about this at this point. We do of course have some ideas already, but it's too early to share them...

2. Do you have any more news about the story or the characters' profile?
    3. When is the official website for the game going online?
    These I can lump together, as the official website will contain the first new info about story and characters when it is launched in early 2007.

4. Do you have a tentative release date for the game and for a demo?
    The tentative release date is at the end of 2007, there is nothing I can reveal regarding the demo as of yet.

5. What screen resolution will the game be in?
    There has not been a final decison on the resolution(s).

We can't reveal this as of yet, we're of course considering the most obvious of choices... but we will see.

2. What news do you have about the gameplay?
    Hmm, let's see... Gray Matter is a classic point & click adventure game and a classic Jane Jensen game. The interesting thing are the two different characters and their differing abilities and interests. Dr. Styles, the neurobiologist, uses his analytic knowledge about the mind to solve puzzles, whereas street-smart Sam Everett has quick hands and a unique penchant for magic tricks.

3. Will it be a worldwide release (and if not, in which countries will it be released)?
    Yes, Gray Matter will be released worldwide, the exact dates for the individual territories will be announced as we decide on the international partners we will work with to bring Gray Matter to every corner of the globe. We are currently in negotiations with many prospective partners all over the world.

As for Almirena's (very detailed) questions, I'm gonna have to pass right now. I would suggest you send me a quick private message with your contact details and we can see about arranging an interview about the project.

Cheers!

Claas
    www.anaconda-games.com

Quote Originally Posted by Davero
    I'm curious how long will be the game? GK games offered long, gratyfying stories, but nowadays games are shorter. Is Gray Matter planned as a game one can play for a long time (lets say a week) or for few afternoons.

It's connected with another question: how demanding task are prepared for players? GK series has great puzzles - one just have to think not only click and watch. I hope Grey Matter won't be a game, which almost tells what to do next, leaving little space for thinking. I'm playing adventure games to play not to click and watch.
    Hi Davero,

thanks for your questions and your interest in Gray Matter. I'm afraid I can't really go into much detail, but let me reiterate that Gray Matter is very much a Jane Jensen game and that definitely holds true for the puzzles, which will be challenging and rich in background (both scientific and historical).

As for the length of the game, that is hard to pin down with any precision right now. Rest assured that we are aiming for the high end of the spectrum.

Cheers!

Claas
    www.anaconda-games.com

Thank you for your reply, dtp claas.

the official website will contain the first new info about story and characters when it is launched in early 2007
    We'll be looking forward to this launch!

Gray Matter will be released worldwide
    That's very good to know.

I would suggest you send me a quick private message with your contact details and we can see about arranging an interview about the project.
    Thank you. I'll send you a PM with the contact details.

Hi Krss,

thank you for your interest and support!

Quote Originally Posted by Krss
    Gray Matter will be released worldwide
    That's very good to know.
    Sure, Gray Matter will be released worldwide. It's hard to tell at what exact date the game will be released in a specific country, but we plan to make it available everywhere by the end of the year 2007.
    Olgierd Cypra<br />Community Manager<br /><br />dtp entertainment AG

How was finded developer (Tonuzaba Entertainment) for this project? Would you tell us about this company more detail?

Hi dtp Olli,

thank you for your interest and support!
    There are quite a few fans who anticipate Gray Matter, even if it's just in its development stages.

we plan to make it available everywhere by the end of the year 2007
    That is very good news.

Hi dtp claas, ;D

We can't reveal this as of yet, we're of course considering the most obvious of choices... but we will see.
    I want to know: What about Robert Holmes? It can be he composes the music for Gray Matter?

Quote Originally Posted by kuzma84
    What about Robert Holmes?
    I'd definitely consider Robert Holmes "the most obvious choice" ;D But what do I know... *crosses fingers*

I think Jane Jensen mentioned him (at the Leipzig Game Convention) as her personal top of mind option too ;D
    Beta-tester of Scratches, Carte Blanche, Time Stand Still, Hope Springs Eternal and others. Feel free to contact me if you need beta-testers!

Hmm... need a Graphic Designer for a box design?