Thread: The Abbey

Default The Abbey

How close "The Abbey" will be to Umbeto Eco's "Name of the Rose"? Aren't you afraid that people who read the book / seen the film will be disappointed of the comedy genre of the game? Or do you think this will attract more gamers?

Default Re: The Abbey

The point of start for The Abbey long ago was a parody of the relationship between Fray William (the main character) and Adso in "The Name of the Rose".
    The idea of the game is actually inspired by another game: "la abadía del crimen" (released in Spain in the middle '80s)
    The projoct has changed much during this years, and now the main premise is the only thing that remains: a monk and his novice arrives to an abbey with a Library where other monk has died.
    The rest of the story, including characters, situations and places are quite differents. An example: it's the same idea that Monkey Island is inspired by Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island book.

Knowing the game is not an adaptation of the book, we don't think any fan of Eco's story would be dissapointed (we are great fan of "The Name of the Rose").

This game is very funny, but it's not strictly a comedy, as other alcachofa's games. The balance between a serious storyline, suspense, mystery and humor, we think we have get it very well.

Also the Abbey did not having the old style you have seen on the first screen wich have approached last year or the year before. Alcachofa redisigned the whole look of the game and also the characters and it became a little darker and of course more mysterious.

Will there be more then one murder in the abbey? Will there be paranormal things or as in book everything will have a rational explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Santi
    This game is very funny, but it's not strictly a comedy, as other alcachofa's games. The balance between a serious storyline, suspense, mystery and humor, we think we have get it very well.
    This will be a huge challenge; not many games have succeeded in finding a good mixture between an epic story and humour. On the other hand, those games that have achieved this challenge succesfully have often become real classics.

So I wish you good look

Will there be more then one murder in the abbey? Will there be paranormal things or as in book everything will have a rational explanation?
    Well... there will be a lof of murders, and several plots of hidden secrets, fight for power, and of course many heretic and satanic things.
    But... will it be real? Will have a rational explanation? Buy the game next year to discover it! :P

And if you don't buy the game, I'll tell the holy inquisition about it!

Hello everybody:

How longer will it take finish? I hope it will be very very long. This adventure have to be very long to discover the misterys and the assesin. Are you planning to release it on the future consoles as Playstation 3 or the Nintendo Wii, because this one is very situated to Adventure games.

Thanks a lot.

The duration of the game won't dissapoint anybody, since the game is long but only the needed for well-telling the story.
    We think that is better a shorter game addecuated with the story and the puzzles than extending the game artificially, because that makes the game bored and affects the playability.
    About the new generation of videoconsoles, firstly the game is for PC only, but later the users and Crimson Cow will have the last word.

Please Crimsom Crow!!! The Nintendo Wii is very suitable to play Adventure Graphics games, because its unique control.

I'll love to see this games (and other adventure games) in console.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dmosquera
    Please Crimsom Crow!!! The Nintendo Wii is very suitable to play Adventure Graphics games, because its unique control.

I'll love to see this games (and other adventure games) in console.

Thanks a lot.
    I would also like to see some adventure games on this console, but I also see a problem in the relatively low resolution of the machine (only 480p). So I would prefer games that are specificaly developped for the machine and not some PC conversations that play and look better on the PC - much like the Nintendo DS adventure games that are available or being developed (Another Code/Phoenix Wright/Undercover Dual Motives)