Default Nancy in the 1930's?

Is there any chance you'll do more games that feature Nancy in the 1930's? Secret of the Old Clock was interesting because of when it took place, but it was more humorous than informative (having Nancy visit people with names out of children's literature). I'd like a longer, more involved game where you get to see more of what it was like living back then. Maybe Nancy could visit that speakeasy that we saw in Ghost Dogs back in its heyday (solely for the purpose of solving a mystery, of course ) You could even have a puzzle where she goes shopping and selects clothing and makeup that was fashionable in the 1930's to disguise herself to look older. (just please don't make her sew it herself)

Default Re: Nancy in the 1930's?

Hullo Eggnog!

Oh no - we won't have her sew anytime soon. At least, not if I can help it!

The Secret of the Old Clock was definitely a challenge to get the era right and to abandon all of Nancy's gadgetry!

We found a definite age-bias toward the 1930's element. The younger audience really didn't care and the older (ahem, more mature) audience really enjoyed it.

We've played around with the idea of sending Nancy back to different time periods. My favorite is the early 70's with bell bottoms and 'groovy' being said every 4th word, but we'll see. It's definitely a cool and intriguing idea, though.

Quote Originally Posted by krolmeister
    The Secret of the Old Clock was definitely a challenge to get the era right and to abandon all of Nancy's gadgetry!
    Yes, but that's part of what makes the game more interesting in a game from another era. Instead of having a PDA and modern conveniences, Nancy has to make do with what was available at the time. So the games don't all look alike.

We found a definite age-bias toward the 1930's element. The younger audience really didn't care and the older (ahem, more mature) audience really enjoyed it.
    I suspect many of the younger players had never been exposed to the likes of Jane Eyre or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. So they didn't get the references. A lot of the enjoyment of the game depended on that.

We've played around with the idea of sending Nancy back to different time periods.
    You could actually go back to some time periods when Nancy hadn't been published, like the 1900's or even earlier. Nancy could have dreams at night that relate somehow to the case she's working on in present day.

Quote Originally Posted by eggnog2
    Quote Originally Posted by krolmeister
    Yes, but that's part of what makes the game more interesting in a game from another era. Instead of having a PDA and modern conveniences, Nancy has to make do with what was available at the time. So the games don't all look alike.

I suspect many of the younger players had never been exposed to the likes of Jane Eyre or Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. So they didn't get the references. A lot of the enjoyment of the game depended on that.

We've played around with the idea of sending Nancy back to different time periods.
    You could actually go back to some time periods when Nancy hadn't been published, like the 1900's or even earlier. Nancy could have dreams at night that relate somehow to the case she's working on in present day.
    Double quoting! I hope the system can handle it!

Oh yeah -the lack of gadgetry was fun. I personally hate the cell phone! The younger players, though, just didn't find any of the aspects of the 30's interesting. LIike, the difference in cost of things or the record player etc.

I'm so happy you clued in on the map references! Most of my teammates thought it was kind of ... well, dumb, but I liked it at least. Many people, though, very much enjoyed delivering telegrams. When we got the data back from testers, we found that some were spending a VERY large amount of time just driving and delivering.

One of our early scriptwriters was obsessed with taking Nancy into the future. And even our new Creative Director has played with that idea. But I feel that there'd be WAY too much gadgetry, then.

Nancy could have dreams at night that relate somehow to the case she's working on in present day
    A good idea IMHO. Such flashbacks... And flashbacks are popular now (thanks to "Lost") :-)

I enjoyed it a lot! I am not even a teenager yet!

I like the idea of going to the 70's!
    Hello one and all! My name is Ashley! I live in Michigan USA and I'm 15 years old. I'm a freshman in high school and I'm going to my first school dance next Saturday! YAH! I'm excited! No date yet, but I'm still excited!