Default Does episode 1 have a self-contained story?

Does Episode 1 feature a satisfying conclusion or does it end on an unresolved cliff-hanger? In other words, is Episode 1 just the start of a larger storyline that will only be resolved at the end of the final episode or does each each episode have a unique stand alone story?

Default Re: Does episode 1 have a self-contained story?

Both.

Episode 1 actually ends where Episode 2 was supposed to.

Initially planned, Episode 1 was supposed to be an intro to the game, world, characters and plot.

But, since the 3rd part was dismissed, everything is pushed back/forth.

Episode 1 will end on a breaking point of the game, with a cliff hanger of some sorts, but as a rounded story. You won't be left guessing who is who, and what is what.

Great. I think that my only real concern about your game (and it's a concern I hold for episodic gaming in general) is that the player will be left hanging for an unreasonable length of time between episodes. I think that it is very difficult for episodic games to release new instalments quickly enough to sustain people's interest.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that there are only 2 episodes planned (for some reason I thought that there were going to be more), so I guess my above comments don't really apply to Kaptain Brawe. It's more applicable to the Sam'n'Max or Bone style of episodic gaming. Sorry!

I agree. I also don't like episodic content, but it needed to be done.

Here is a short break down to understand it.

This game is done without budget (cept for the software), so I decided to release it in a form of short episodes, with the 1st one for free, and 2nd and 3rd as a commercial product.

The first one was supposed to be a teaser info, and for me to see how much will people like it, can it hold it's own ground in the plethora of high quality, big budget games.

Then, 2nd episode would come out ending with a "cliffhanger" which I could charge some small fee for, then quit my day job and work full time on the 3rd episode.

However, the game caught some publisher's eyes, and I decided to make it as two episodes. The second will be done in a considerably shorter time, since most of the animations and characters are already done.

It would only take to draw backgrounds (which take me 2 full working days to do), and do the music (which in this case would be done by a proffesional composer), leaving me to do only graphic and story part of the game.

I doubt it would take more than 4 months to develop.

Hope it helps.

Well that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Besides, you know what they say about waiting - Absence makes the hair grow blonder.

No, that's not it. Absence makes a tart go wander?

Oh, forget it. You get point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Brawe
    However, the game caught some publisher's eyes
    Does this mean that there may be even a boxed version sometime in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Brawe
    It would only take to draw backgrounds (which take me 2 full working days to do)
    Wow, thats fast, especially when I see the fantastic quality of those backgrounds.