Default Hello everyone - introduction

Hi all,

Some of you may not know much about us, so I'll just give a little introduction here.

Viperante is a UK based company, founded in 2003. Since then, we have been tirelessly working on numerous adenture game designs, always striving to create deep and meaningful stories, with interesting characters. We recently announced our first game, Restless:

Restless is a 3rd person point and click adventure game, and is being billed as a "Supernatural Thriller". It's a deep, dark and thought provoking game, and follows the story of Kate Jones, a once high powered criminal defense attorney with everything she wanted, who fell from grace after not reporting a bomb threat, a bomb which later killed 25 people. She is now living in a one room dump, consumed by guilt and shame, drinking herself into oblivion, her perfect life ruined. Haunted by horrible nightmares of a woman in terrible pain, Kate is forced into action by a mysterious note that tells her "If you want to help yourself, help her". With that in mind Kate must pull herself together, step out of the shadows, and into a thrilling mystery that involves ghosts, the CIA, the Mafia, corrupt police, secret experiments, and a whole lot more.

Key features:
    - an engaging and deep storyline
    - 3rd person point and click interface
    - 1024x768 screen resolution
    - highly detailed hand drawn scenery
    - more than a dozen interactive 3D characters
    - an original and emotive score
    - 15+ unique and separate locations
    - animated graphic novel style cut scenes
    - challenges and puzzles integrated into the story

Click the thumbnails for larger screenshots:

Check out the website here, if you haven't seen it already:

www.restlessgame.com

And also the Viperante website:

www.viperante.com

My name is Dan Peach, and I am the Managing Director of Viperante, and also the producer and writer of Restless. I am happy to answer all your questions about absolutely anything. 8)

Let's begin.
    www.coldwinterwaiting.com<br />www.restlessgame.com<br />www.viperante.com

Default Re: Hello everyone - introduction

Sounds intriguing, and the screenshots look absolutely wonderful, very detailled! This game is now pretty high on my list of games to collect every snippet of news about.

Can you say anything about the progress, perhaps even an expected releasedate? Also, will you be self-publishing (from your own website) or will this be a title we will be able to buy in a brick-and-mortar store eventually?
    Beta-tester of Scratches, Carte Blanche, Time Stand Still, Hope Springs Eternal and others. Feel free to contact me if you need beta-testers!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad that it's high on your list.

Progress is going nicely, and the expected release date is the end of 2007 - I know it's a long way off, but it's a lot of work. ;D

As I mentioned in another thread, publishing details will be announced shortly. It won't be self published.

Congratulations, Dan, the project is looking simply gorgeous! How large is currently your team?
    Agustín Cordes<br />Nucleosys Digital Studio<br />www.nucleosys.com

Hey Agustin - thanks.

The team is not massive - writer, background artist, cutscene artist, character modeller/animator, sound designer, and musician - just enough to get the job done. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Peach
    As I mentioned in another thread, publishing details will be announced shortly. It won't be self published.
    That means good news

You said that challenges and puzzles will be integrated into the story. What kind of puzzles it will be - standart inventory-based or you're preparing something special?

Mostly the puzzles will be inventory based, but there will be some real puzzles as well, just to keep the old grey cells on their feet (if they have feet). Wen I say "integrated" into the story I mean that the challanges Kate faces are in relation to where she is at any one time, what she's trying to find out, etc etc, and are not just thrown into the game to kill time.

15+ unique and separate locations
    Isn't it a bit small number of locations? Or maybe each location will consist of several game screens? Any special features like day/night changes?

I think 15 separate and unique locations is quite high. It doesn't mean only 15 background screens - it means, 15 totally separate and different places in the game world, such as the school (in the screenshots), the hotel, etc etc

Each location has several background screens, for different rooms and different sections of that location etc. For example, in the game we actually go inside the school, and explore several rooms and locations inside.

Thas is clear now. Can you estimate a number of backgrounds used in game?

Also, will you post any music samples soon?

There will be around 75 background screens in total.

We'll be posting some music when we have some final tracks ready. Don't know when though. We're not doing the music just yet. 8)

So what are you busy with now? Is storyline of the game 100% complete already?

Storyline is complete so right now we're just completing the gameplay design, and writing the dialogues etc, as well as working on some of the backgrounds for locations that have already been designed, like the seedy hotel location.