Default Simon the Sorcerer 4

please tell us a bit about Simon the Sorcerer 4

- why did you decide to aquire the rights to this classics adventure game series instead of creating sth new?
    - how will you ensure that the humor and the style of teh game fits the first 2 (hmmm ok. 3) games?
    - what was the role of the original creators? there have been some irritating interviews lately...
    - when will the game be published?
    - how far along are you, when did you start the project?
    - why did you decide to cut simons hair?

Default Re: Simon the Sorcerer 4

Hello Axel!

Quote Originally Posted by axelkothe
    - why did you decide to aquire the rights to this classics adventure game series instead of creating sth new?
    Because we are true fans of the Simon series and we found the idea to add a sequel to the series really amazing.

- how will you ensure that the humor and the style of teh game fits the first 2 (hmmm ok. 3) games?
    Well, the original developers Mike and Simon Woodroffe are still involved in the game design. Simon will work on the english text and add his very special Simon humor on it.

- what was the role of the original creators? there have been some irritating interviews lately...
    I was quiet sure that someone would ask me that this evening.
    Mike took part in story and puzzle design, Simon mainly on the game text. Mike's part is almost done, Simon's just started.

- when will the game be published?
    The official release date for Germany is 9th February 2007. For other territories it's still TBA.

- how far along are you, when did you start the project?
    We started with Simon the Sorcerer 4 in 2005.

- why did you decide to cut simons hair?
    We thought you might like a Simon in a contemporary look. A braid looks rather like 90's or 80's.

Stefan

About the look of Simon: I personally don't care, but it didn't fare really well with some other fans of old in the adventure community.

Just some words on the graphics: They look really nice, but in some screens I miss the cartoony feeling of the old games. But when I look at the concept sketches for those screens it's definitely there. So in the final screens this somehow fades... But as I said: I really like the graphics.

I can't wait to play the game!

February sounds great by the way! 2007 is going to be a good year for adventure gamers...

About the look of Simon: I personally don't care, but it didn't fare really well with some other fans of old in the adventure community.
    Yes, I know. We had to decide which complaints we like more: "Where is his braid?" or "Why does Simon still wear this 90s haircut?" But I'm quiet happy that Simon has no fashionable piercing.

Just some words on the graphics: They look really nice, but in some screens I miss the cartoony feeling of the old games. But when I look at the concept sketches for those screens it's definitely there. So in the final screens this somehow fades... But as I said: I really like the graphics.
    Yes, we had to reduce the cartoony look from the sketches a bit, so that the characters blends well with backgrounds. Sketches usually don't represent 100% of the final style. I'm quiet sure that you will find the graphics style in the final game satisfying.

I've got a question.
    How come you decided to make the game in 3D? I think it looks great, I'm just curios.

Quote Originally Posted by Isak
    I've got a question.
    How come you decided to make the game in 3D? I think it looks great, I'm just curios.
    Simon the Sorcerer 4 is not completely 3D, I think we could call the technique 2 3/4 D. We wanted 3D characters and the benefits of 3D for illumiation and more, but we also wanted highly detailled backgrounds (which are much too detailled for realtime 3D). This is why we decided for the mixture.

Ok thanks! A stupid question maybe, that there maybe is an answer for somewhere, but will the game be direct controled or will it be point n click?

You control the game by Point'n Click.

Nice! Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Indeed, really happy it's going to be point'n'click. ;D
    Screenshots look great. I hope you'll be able to announce more news about an English/international version soon.
    Beta-tester of Scratches, Carte Blanche, Time Stand Still, Hope Springs Eternal and others. Feel free to contact me if you need beta-testers!

Nice! How/when will we find out when it's released in England? Also, who's doing the voice acting for Simon? <hoping for Chris Barrie>