Default Comic adventures

In the past we've heard repeatedly that comic adventures (or comic games in general) are hard to sell. By signing A Vampyre Story you show that you believe in these games. What do you think is difficult in marketing those kind of games and what are your expectations for A Vampyre Story?

Default Re: Comic adventures

Hi Glottis,

that's right - some people are keep saying that comic adventures aren't selling very well, but why?
    If you think about the past releases, you will see comic adventures are some of the best selling adventure games.
    Take for example Ankh, Runaway and many other comic adventures. They each have reached higher sales than more realism-oriented games than myst style adventures, or even some of the more realistic point and click adventures, they are doing not bad and in some cases they top the sales easily. The problem in marketing comic adventures is mainly the public relations work, because in most cases you will have funny looking characters that might have come from a kid's game. At least, comic adventures are often mistaken for children's games. Funnily, this is a problem a good pixar movie doesn't have - Madagaskar or Finding Nemo attracted large crowds of all ages, beacuse they are meant for all ages. A well round up comic adventure should and does appeal to anybody. The difficulty lies in delivering this news into gamer's heads.

Our personal opinon about AVS is pretty easy to explain... for us it will be one of the most funniest and original adventures
    of the last years and I am very glad to say it's in our lineup.

Let me add some other questions regarding that topic:
    After signing The Abbey the design concept was changed from a comic look to a more serious look. Who made that decision (Crimson Cow or Alcachofa or both) and what were the reasons for it? Was it because of a general doubt towards the comic look or the special circumstances of the game, so for example you thought the story and the look didn't fit together or something similar? Or in other words: Why do you think AVS will work with comic graphics and The Abbey is better served with a more serious look?

Quote Originally Posted by Glottis
    Let me add some other questions regarding that topic:
    After signing The Abbey the design concept was changed from a comic look to a more serious look. Who made that decision (Crimson Cow or Alcachofa or both) and what were the reasons for it? Was it because of a general doubt towards the comic look or the special circumstances of the game, so for example you thought the story and the look didn't fit together or something similar? Or in other words: Why do you think AVS will work with comic graphics and The Abbey is better served with a more serious look?
    Hm, the characters may be a little more mature but stilll comic, as are the backgrounds. I like the new characters much better than the ones from the very first screenshots alcachofa published about a year ago.

Well, the look is still more comic than realistic, but it's now a darker and gloomy, just like an old abbey in the dark times of the inqusition.

The decision, was of course, made by Emilio and the other guys at Alcachofa Soft. It's their brainchild, on which they've been working since the mid-90s, and we want them to do exactly what they feels right for them, and lets them do their vision of this particular story.

Several months ago, they presented us their story, and we were excited right away. We then met a few times, talking about the story, the design, the art, the technology. I believe we must have looked at everything Alcachofa Soft created for The Abbey in the last 12 years. We fell in love with the characters, but something didn't feel right, so we discussed the possiblitly of a more serious look to accompany the serious aspects of the story. After all, it's a mystery crime story. After that followed weeks and months of redesign, looking for a way to create a more appropriate look of the game and keep the uniqueness of the characters and their lively faces. This is what the Alcachofas finally came up with, and I believe they are really happy with the new direction of the look now, as we are.

A Vampyre Story is, after all, something as weird and comic-like as you'd expect from any Lucas Arts adventure or a good Pixar movie (sic!); combined with Bill's unique style, it's gonna be a real gem, but completely different from The Abbey. They are both jewels in their own field, I guess.

How much of a comedy game can we expect from The Abbey after all? I mean in terms of dialogue, seriousness, jokes, absurdity of puzzles, etc. Is it more of a comedy game with a quite serious story or more of a serious game with some sarcasm and other funny parts? Could you name an adventure or other game it can be compared to?

Well, it really depends on how you choose to play it. I'd say it's the latter. Naturally I feel uncomfortable in comparing one of my dear projects with any other game, so I'd like to pass on that.

But I'd say: Imagine "The Name of the Rose", and then Sean Connery's character and his assistant regularily mouthing off to each other.

After all, in such an early stage of actual development, it's hard to tell where we'll end up. I guess 6 months from now, this won't be such a tough question anymore

Ehh, the Juniper Crescent is a comic adventure too, isnt it? Dont you want to publish it? ;D
    www.adventuregames.hu

Quote Originally Posted by Rowie
    Ehh, the Juniper Crescent is a comic adventure too, isnt it? Dont you want to publish it? ;D
    Yeah, I support that notion.

I would really love the see that adventure become a reality. I loved Ince's previous work and I'm sure The Sapphire Claw would be just as great.

Nice idea

Yeah, The Sapphire Claw sounds very nice indeed. I really like Steve's work alot, and I'd love to see The Sapphire Claw published.

I believe Steve did some work on dialogues or scripts or something on The Westerner, too, but my memory might be wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by Georg_CrimsonCow
    I believe Steve did some work on dialogues or scripts or something on The Westerner, too, but my memory might be wrong there.
    You remember correctly, he was working on the dialogues of the english version.

Ah, yes!

You know, The Westerner still is one of my favorite past games. Just love the humor and the style alot.

Yeah, the Westerner was a great game!
    I would also like to see The Sapphire Claw, it would fit in perfectly in Crimson Cow's catalouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai_Crimson_Cow
    Nice idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg_CrimsonCow
    Yeah, The Sapphire Claw sounds very nice indeed. I really like Steve's work alot, and I'd love to see The Sapphire Claw published.

Should I write to you?
    Steve<br />www.juniper-games.com

I feel a certain something in the air here ;D
    Stop the presses! Scoop alert!

Beta-tester of Scratches, Carte Blanche, Time Stand Still, Hope Springs Eternal and others. Feel free to contact me if you need beta-testers!

You could, but then we'd have to deny that you might have

Alright people, go on, there's nothing to see here....!

I know nothing...
    Steve<br />www.juniper-games.com