Default LucasArts quotings?

Hi Pendulo, I'm really glad to have the opportunity to ask you some questions

Well, I've always wondered if you were "inspired" in some way by any of the famous LucasArts adventures.
    For example, while I was playing Hollywood Monster, I noticed that the game inventory looked like the "scumm" one we can see in Monkey Island 1 and 2, or in Maniac Mansion or Day Of The Tentacle. Moreover, the scene in which we can see Ron climbing the windmill in Switzerland clearly remembers The Curse of Monkey Island.
    Playing Runaway, I also noticed that, in the ghost city, Brian retrieves the monkey wrench in a mud-pot, as Guybrush, in The Curse of Monkey Island, similarly retrieves the gold tooth in a mud puddle in Plunder Island.

Are those just coincidences? I don't think so ;D

Would you tell us something about it?
    www.adventuresplanet.it<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; (user)

Default Re: LucasArts quotings?

I would be crazy to say that we haven't got inspiration on LucasArts games as those were the games that loved the most when we start working on this industry.

However, you're not being clever with the similarities. The inventory of Hollywood Monsters (which I just don't remember now) may be similar to the one in Monkey Island, however aren't most inventories in classic adventure games similar? Also, I'm not totally sure but was not Hollywood Monsters released before Curse of Monkey Island? Regarding the mud puzzle, it's like saying once there's a puzzle about a door to be opened with a key, nobody can do a puzzle about opening a door again. It's nonsense.

And to prove there's a lot of coincidences if you stop and analize the games. There's a puzzle in Igor to catch some firefly in a bottle and then use it as light. Well, LucasArts did the same thing years later in one game (I'm not sure which), and what I'm sure is that they didn't do that just because they played Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulo Studios
    The inventory of Hollywood Monsters (which I just don't remember now) may be similar to the one in Monkey Island, however aren't most inventories in classic adventure games similar?
    Maybe I wasn't clear enuogh: I mean, both have the action-words like "go, open, pick up" or something like these. But that could be a common feature, I can't be sure, I'm not so a great expert at the history of adventure games

Also, I'm not totally sure but was not Hollywood Monsters released before Curse of Monkey Island?
    Actually, Hollywood Monsters was released a few months later, but that's very little time, I admit it.

Regarding the mud puzzle, it's like saying once there's a puzzle about a door to be opened with a key, nobody can do a puzzle about opening a door again. It's nonsense.
    I don't think picking up something from mud is a very common action...

However, I didn't mind to blame you at all, I'm sorry if you got a wrong idea of my purpose :-\
    www.adventuresplanet.it<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; (user)

I'm pretty sure there are some intentional references to Lucas Arts.
    For example, I seem to remember in Runaway 1 there was a chicken that was identical to the chickens in Curse of Monkey Island.

Quote Originally Posted by ginuk
    I'm pretty sure there are some intentional references to Lucas Arts.
    For example, I seem to remember in Runaway 1 there was a chicken that was identical to the chickens in Curse of Monkey Island.
    That's a very good example. Also, in R2 there's a chapter where's Brian is dress just like Guybrush. In fact, all that "dream" is a homage to the two first Monkey Islands.