Thread: Art Question

Default Art Question

First off, the artwork I've seen for this game is amazing. It style reminds me of the Brothers Hildebrandt. What are/were the influences when coming up with the visuals for AVS?

Default Re: Art Question

Thanks very much! Yeah, you hit the nail on the head! The Brothers Hildebrandt have been major influences on my art for many, many years. Their work definitely influenced the look of AVS. Also, the game's art was influenced by Edward Gorey and a whole slew of Disney artists. Plus, I drew from popular sci-fi and fantasy fiction illustrators, such as Brom, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley, and Ralph McQuarrie.

For the cartoon style, I was also influenced by Warner Bros. cartoons, Dr. Seuss, and Ragnar.

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think Ragnar once said he was inspirated by your games. So it works both way

Actually, there are two Ragnars whose work I enjoy. Atle Ragnar and I talk about art on a fairly regular basis and his game, Roger Foodbelly. He and I have a very similar aesthetic. We like bright (saturated, intense) complementary colors and dramatic composition.

The other Ragnar is not someone I've met and I'm sure he doesn't know my work, but his name is Brandon Ragnar Johnson and he does some children's book illustrations that I like and he has a cool web site at www.littlecartoons.com

Quote Originally Posted by zoganily
    Plus, I drew from popular sci-fi and fantasy fiction illustrators, such as Brom, Keith Parkinson, Jeff Easley, and Ralph McQuarrie.
    Sounds like you and I probably enjoyed the same artist back in the day including Larry Elmore and Clyde Caldwell. I had the pleasure of meeting several of those artists at a game convention (GenCon) several years back. I was saddened to learn of Keith Parkinson's passing in 2005 in his 40s. Much too young! Larry Elmore was a woot. Extremely personable and c'mon...SnarfQuest ruled!

I did not know that Keith Parkinson passed away and am really sad to hear that. I have a signed Everquest poster from him but never got to meet him, unfortunately. That is very sad news to hear.

I was lucky enough to meet Jeff Easley and Clyde Caldwell one time when I was interviewing at TSR in Lake Geneva. They seemed very cool.

I think that any game using the influence of Edward Gorey is awesome. I grew up with his artwork, and it's a big influence on myself as well, so I am particularly thrilled to hear that it has such an impact on AVS. Good luck with it!