Default Bonus stuff #1 (Dev Screens)

To make this event more special, we are offering you the possibility to have a little look at the background of our project.
    To be concrete, you can look on some scenes. Each one from one its first versions up to the recent ones.
    For large versions of the scenes finals, check our website www.farawaystudios.com.

Default Re: Bonus stuff #1 (Dev Screens)

Wow, these are amazing Roman. How long does it typically take to get from the initial concept scene to the finalised render that's fully texture, lit, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Wow, these are amazing Roman. How long does it typically take to get from the initial concept scene to the finalised render that's fully texture, lit, etc.?
    Well thats really hard to say... It depends if we talk about "rough" or "smart(clean)" time spent on the development. It also depends if we are talking about freeware project (like our is) or a commercial project. Rougly in freeware project it can take a month for example (ROUGH time only) because you start doing it, but then, suddenly, your graphic designer goes "dead" (stops totally commnucating with you, without any reason) or, if you have luck, he is so honest and contacts you with that fu*king news that we cannot continue :-) (for some reason), so you need to find another graphic designer, because you dont have any time to finish the scene yourself. Also it depends if you are taking into account the "pre-production" phase, when you really "built the scene in your mind from nothing". This could be the most longest part, sometimes you might have difficulties in thinking of some new original scene, but making it can be much faster then, when you are decided how it will look like. To make a long story short- It depends :-).

To make it concrete: The room Nathan is in, is my job. It tooke me (not counting in the "pre-production" phase) around 10 days to make it (rough time) and i might worked about 3-4 hours a day? The "pre-production" phase could tooke me around 3 days (rough time, few minutes per day :-) ). ITs really hard to say. It also depends on your "state". If you are inspired and enthusiastic by the moment, or if you are f***** up with everything, and you cannot make even a single room.

I think these things happen in commercial projects too only they hush it up most of the time! What can you do but learn from the experience... and swear about it lots! ;D

What do you do to keep motivated even in those deep dark times? They have some great tips over on indiegamer.com.

Is everything modelled from scratch? They are amazingly professional images for a freeware game and I wish you the best for future releases!

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    I think these things happen in commercial projects too only they hush it up most of the time! What can you do but learn from the experience... and swear about it lots! ;D

What do you do to keep motivated even in those deep dark times? They have some great tips over on indiegamer.com.

Is everything modelled from scratch? They are amazingly professional images for a freeware game and I wish you the best for future releases!

What do you do to keep motivated ------------- Nothing and all, i dont have (yet) any concrete "procedure", even that, working on this project, i had sometimes get to know what all the people talking about "burned out syndrome" really talk about.

Is everything modelled from scratch?------------ Yep, everything from scratch.

It's nice seeing how a scene gradually loses its synthetic looks as textures and materials are improved.

What software was used to make it?