Default The Machinist (2004)

Storyline:
    Trevor Reznik is a machinist in a factory. An extreme case of insomnia has led to him not sleeping in a year, and his body withering away to almost nothing. He has an obsessive compulsion to write himself reminder notes and keep track of his dwindling weight, both scribbled on yellow stickies in his apartment. The only person he lets into his life in an emotional sense is Stevie, a prostitute, although he has an infatuation with Maria, a single mother waitress working in an airport diner. His co-workers don't associate with and mistrust him because of not knowing what is going on in his life that has led to his emaciated physical appearance. A workplace incident further alienates him with his coworkers, and in conjunction with some unfamiliar pieces of paper he finds in his apartment, Trevor believes that someone or some people are out to get him...

Additional Information:

Directed by: Brad Anderson
    Produced by: Julio Fernandez
    Written by: Scott Kosar

Starring: Christian Bale, Jennifer Jason Leigh, John Sharian, Aitana Sánchez-Gijón, Michael Ironside
    Music by: Roque Baños
    Cinematography: Xavi Giménez
    Editing by: Luis De La Madrid
    Studio: Fantastic Factory (Filmax/Castelao Producciones) (Spain)

Distributed by: Paramount Classics
    Release dates: October 22, 2004 (US), December 17, 2004 (Spain)
    Running time: 102 minutes
    Language: English
    Budget: $5 million
    Box office: $8,203,235

Critiques:

"A brilliantly honed tale of dementia, starring a skeletal Christian Bale as a tormented insomniac wasting away and terrorized by his irreal existence." Duane Byrge, The Hollywood Reporter

"Psychological suspense at its finest." Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post

"Anderson gives The Machinist a sickly noirish look that contributes to the creeping horror - but it's the emaciated Bale's spectral presence that leaves the imprint." Megan Lehmann, New York Post

"In the hands of a less talented filmmaker, The Machinist would have felt like a stunt. But Anderson, with a terrific assist from Bale, makes his character's plight achingly physical." Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer

"An intense, precision-controlled psychological mystery built around a very creepy lead performance by Christian Bale." Todd McCarthy, Variety

�Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.�

VampAurora's Critique:

The whole atmosphere reminded me quite a lot of Fight Club's one. A pretty good movie, with a lot of suspense that keeps you stunned. One cannot simply not say about Christian Bale's terrific act, he was just breathtaking. I really didn't see the end coming, as it usually happens to movies. Watch it, it's worth it.

Rating: 8.5/10

�Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.�

Quote Originally Posted by VampAurora View Post
    VampAurora's Critique:

The whole atmosphere reminded me quite a lot of Fight Club's one. A pretty good movie, with a lot of suspense that keeps you stunned. One cannot simply not say about Christian Bale's terrific act, he was just breathtaking. I really didn't see the end coming, as it usually happens to movies. Watch it, it's worth it.

Rating: 8.5/10
    Sad and heart breaking end...
    "Nothing is true , everything is permitted."