Default Goya's Ghosts (2006)

Storyline:
    The painter Goya becomes involved with the Spanish Inquisition when his muse, Ines, is arrested by the church for heresy. Her father, Thomas, comes to him hoping that his connection with Brother Lorenzo, whom he is painting, can secure the release of his daughter.

Additional Information:

Directed by: Milo Forman
    Written by: Jean-Claude Carrire, Milo Forman

Starring: Natalie Portman, Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgrd, Randy Quaid, Unax Ugalde
    Music by: Varhan Orchestrovič Bauer, Jos Nieto
    Cinematography: Javier Aguirresarobe
    Editing by: Adam Boome
    Studio: The Saul Zaentz Co., Xuxa Producciones (Spain)

Distributed by: Kanzaman S.A.l (Spain)
    Release date: November 8, 2006
    Running time: 114 minutes
    Language: English

Critiques:

"Goya's Ghosts is like the sketchbook Goya might have made with a camera." Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

"There is so little emotionally or intellectually at stake in most popular entertainment that Goya's Ghosts, Milos Forman's challenging, compelling and wildly uneven film, shoots like a cannonball into the solar plexus. I can't remember when I've been so physically and mentally shattered." Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer

"Ghosts is one of Forman's most ambitious and daring films; would that all of its ambitions were fulfilled." Glenn Kenny, Premiere

"Ambitious script is stranded between entertainment and intellectualism, leaving us with a magnificent folly, thoroughly watchable for its visuals but ultimately hollow." Jonathan Holland, Variety

"Far from an embarrassment and a generally fine piece of work." Scott Foundas, L.A. Weekly

Trailer:

( Click to show/hide )

�Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.�

VampAurora's Critique:

A really dark movie which can take your breath at moments. Amazing acting by the whole cast and especially from Natalie Portman. Emotionally devastating, this movie will give you food for thought. It's worth it.

Rating: 89/100

�Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.�