Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The current state of DR.Comm

Here we got Hellspawn expressing his opinion about Dr.Comm. I suggest you read through it.

Quote Originally Posted by nF.Hellspawn View Post

I actually wanted to say a few more things and I'd use this thread to briefly say what I've got. Should it be necessary and people wanted to talk about it, I can paste and expand it in the general section.

So, the past 3 days I've played let's say 8 games in dr.community and in each one of those games I could have easily made a request for at least 1 player in the game, which I planned to do. I'm not exactly sure if this was coincidence and of course, I sure hope it is. But the truth of the matter is that that's not what I was seeing in DR before. What I can see, from these 8 games at least, is a massive downfall in manners in the community. Reasons ? More RGC players, IVR option, coincidence, one bad mannered player inducing another, me being sleep deprived atm and many more.

It's not just the people that do things like this (i.e. commenting on our mothers in his own tongue) which are unvouchable actions but it's the general feel of it. Somehow I'm starting to feel like I'm playing in the public at times with the attitude of the players in game. Take the blame-a-tron 2000 naix - Burndead being his nickname in this game. His attitude is clearly hostile and I won't say I'm insulted by him, that I can't stand it but I dislike seeing things like that in the community. Ever since I started playing on RGC as a whole I loved the entire platform and same goes for DR. I always wanted both to succeed. Seeing bad manners in the community saddens me I guess. Don't get me wrong here I'm not insulted by this relatively minor bad behaviour, I've been playing DotA for what, 7 years probably. And I've seen my share of the flamers, of the unmannered children seeking to feed their virtual ego on bnet, on garena's countless rooms of flaming death and I don't want that in here. I just don't. If manners are indeed falling down I'm sure the admins are working to raise the bar again and I'm sure you don't need me complaining in the background, telling you to do your jobs better so tell me if you want this in the discussion section or should I just settle down.

I currently have 4 more replays ready ( I somehow lost the others :S ) with people that can easily be unvouchable from the games I played before this one, the same day. The reason I posted this one is because I already did it before and it's more personal than the others. Should I post the other ones ? What's the point ? Are my expectations way too high considering I'm used to playing either games with a team or in semi-"stacks" ? I really don't know. What I do know is the massive unmannered feel DoTA in general has to it which I don't see in other games ( WoW among others ) and that it takes a very selected number of people to play it without having random flamers and haters. But this is another topic and God is it late right now and this post is way too long (for an unvouch request -.-).
    Why am I posting this? In short, i feel somehow similiar. The level of manners have decreased, people have become intolerant, picking out even the slightest mistakes, players blaming each other when the game is lost. The feeling it brings is totaly not community like.

Such minor harrasments often goes past unnoticed, not to mention it is currently not bannable offense at all. Truth is, we can not force anyone to be 'happy'. Imagine, if there were rules that forbid you to express you'r unsatisfaction, that would be horrible. However, it is my firm belief, that the current amount of blaming&shaming has gone out too far.

TL;DR - Seeking community opinon about the current state of DR.Comm
    You cast Thundergod's Wrath.
    Your Thundergod's Wrath hits random Hero for 147 damage. (157 absorbed) (283 resisted) (347 eaten by wolves) (108 abused by Michael Jackson)

Laughing quite hard atm. If I'm not wrong I said the same a few months ago, and got laughed at by the staff.

I totally agree with Hellspawn, in my few dr.com games these last times, both the level and manners were public-like. This looks more like Dota-league's SIGs (aka half-moderated public) than a community atm.

There are some things that make me sad.

what people fail to understand, that this is COMMUNITY, not a league.

Yesterday they were asking how many flame is tolerated, and is it a flame calling some1 noob.....

That really isn't the spirit of any community....

I'm sure solving this the democratic way will bring wonderful results, let's hope RGC's lifespan is long enough to see that day.

Dr.com was much better place when i joined rgc. Blaming others and bad manners are so common in games now. Admins do ur job better or make a rule that stu must be present in every dr.com game
    Something must be done.

People dont have to be unmannered to behave like complete assholes, yesterday I played a game in which 2 of my teammates dropped by min 7-8 and we were leading few kills and winning all lanes, ofcourse other team didnt rmk and we lost.

Basicly every game I played with a man down didnt get rmk'd and everytime I was against a 4 man team I would instantly type rmk no matter the score, because it's a fair thing to do.

So I flame the other team each time they behave like assholes even if they dont say a thing.
    I hope it helps you decide wtf to do.

I've read in rules so called rule of the thumb which is useless?

This deterioration of our community didn't start today. As I see it, the "golden age" of dr was when everyone knew everybody. It was possible when the channel was active and when there were less people.
    Also, when there were no vouch requests and instead of just being unvouchee from one channel, people were banned from the "community" as a whole (be it dotarank or rgc platform).
    People act like this because they are not linked to dr and there is no real harm when they loose access to the channel - they have many other choices.
    As it was repeated in the previous discussion dotarank lost its personality, mostly due to the lack of custom-hosted games but also the loss of characters, such as tyr), sir-rogers or soul]requiem.
    Overall, what's lost once will not return.
    [20:09] gankwithDAME-.-: Cute beautiful man searching for sexy BUSTY girl with fat ass and beautiful eye!no kid no fan pm me!cam on cam!!REALY
    [20:09] gankwithDAME-.-: pm if anyone want
    [20:09] ED`Unkind: go under rainbow and write poems
    [20:10] gankwithDAME-.-: noo
    [20:10] gankwithDAME-.-: wanna by my crystal maiden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dako View Post
    7. Do you consider yourself well-mannered?
    No, as any professional player
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ancient-
    I speak fluent English and little Franch.

So let's start something new and better instead of weeping because the golden era of DR has passed.

Trolololo has a good point. The remake system that we currently have is obsolete. It does not fit anymore for these huge masses of players. If the team of a dropping person votes for a remake in unity, the game should be remade, as it's unfair. People obviously don't see that by themselves for I don't know what weird reasons.

We, the staff, will start enforcing harsher punishment for disrespecting the rules, that everyone who recieved a vouch in DR.Community agreed on eagerly.

As a reminder:
    Rule 1.1. No harassing. No flaming. No provoking. You are expected to behave like you do in the real world: treat your fellow players with respect both ingame and in the main chat.
    Under Construction

Just because you tighten their masks doesn't mean you'll have a friendlier atmosphere.

Indeed, but we get rid of people who don't belong in here at all, people, who would've been tolerated by the 'old' system.

Additionally, people will hopefully think about what they agreed on when they were vouched into DR.Community, seeing that we no longer mess around.
    Last edited by havo; 29-10-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by havo View Post
    So let's start something new and better instead of weeping because the golden era of DR has passed.
    Huh? I'm not crying because of that. At least it was not what I meant to convey.
    I just stated that what ragnesis, hellspawn and wendek are seeing now, cannot be compared to the old dotarank. DR since bnet until the introduction of vrs was one thing, and now it's the other. I am not saying it is bound to be worse (yet it unfortunately is). I just think we should not be saying about how it was before, because the concept of the channel had changed. A lot of changes were made through the last year..
    Last edited by Cnacnel; 29-10-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    [20:09] gankwithDAME-.-: Cute beautiful man searching for sexy BUSTY girl with fat ass and beautiful eye!no kid no fan pm me!cam on cam!!REALY
    [20:09] gankwithDAME-.-: pm if anyone want
    [20:09] ED`Unkind: go under rainbow and write poems
    [20:10] gankwithDAME-.-: noo
    [20:10] gankwithDAME-.-: wanna by my crystal maiden?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dako View Post
    7. Do you consider yourself well-mannered?
    No, as any professional player
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ancient-
    I speak fluent English and little Franch.

Here are mine few observation points...

I am known (among people that i worked with) as a person that likes extreme justice and tries to be fair and as short tempered and outspoken among people that i had some conflicts in the past. Still i feel free to say that one, and as shown in the past the ONLY one person, one role model that was established here as "kinda" untouchable and bad mannered player will be seen as i already mentioned role model by the newcomers. What lowered my opinion about dr.com in general was a guy with nick Ihkke. He was perma walking on thin line, not flaming... But driving "you" crazy, you could barely find the reasons to unvouch him without him being able to counter you with "this guy did this too then and then". This leads to newcomers which are growing masses behave same as "him" or any other guy. Ihkke is used only as (banned) example. That should be cut long time before, since one of my believes while i was voucher was that harassing and provoking is far more warnable than telling someone to fuck himself once.

The second VERY big problem in this growing community IS that even tho we shouldnt and we dont have skill requirements... Some people definitely dont belong here since they ruin games with their extreme lowskill. Therefor people try to avoid them (also with slight pinches and mockeries about how bad they are)... This all creates one very bad atmosphere! The problem of this problem is that some egomaniacs dont see the difference between extreme lowskill and bad players. How? Well, they'd flood the site with ban requests on someone who did bad and made him (them) lose the game. Why? Cuz he felt angry about that loss and had to take it out on someone. "We" as vouchers or as community players would need very fair admins who would be able to see the difference and not keep some game ruiners no matter how mannered they are. Ofc, this is only my opinion and sorry if something doesnt have sense since im very tired atm and kinda in a hurry... I know i'll get tons of bad comments towards me, but please.. Try to keep it topic related..
    If you look close enough... You'll see that everyone has a weak spot.

+1 Juve for the "extremely lowskilled" part. You can't have a Community if there are people no one wants to play with/against because they create frustrating games by being so bad. I mean, I see DR.Community as a place to play relaxed games, but where you can still enjoy some DotA. For instance, the guy who plays one game per day or per two/three days when he comes back from work should be able to play here. But some people are just extremely bad or simply don't care about anything -and without proper sanctions they don't see why they shouldn't do it and abuse a system that lets them do-.

Also, some of these extremely-low players don't even want to admit it, which makes it impossible for them to ever improve, and as such they will keep ruining games (and thus the atmosphere of said games) forever.

This has always been a problem with communities like dotarank, DCE and the likes. Trying to create a fun, relaxing gaming experience only works when you have a really low number of players. Actually such a place is most successful when the players all know eachother and the number is so low that the community could die from not having any games from one day to another.

As the community grows, it is not possible to know everyone, and not knowing someone, taking things they say the wrong way, being too serious, it all ends the same way: drama on the internetz.

I guess playernumbers is not an issue right now so I think that rules should be enforced harsher. What this means isn't punishing the people that belong here, but getting rid of those that don't below here. The rules are just guidelines, supposed to show who fits into dotarank and who doesn't. Now if all the people get sorted out that have to be sorted out then that would solve all problems methinks.

Regards,
    Sir Rogers
    "I am just another lost soul, locked inside a box, looking for a key."

Please do not write me visitor messages or private messages on the forums, I do not have the time to check the at this point in time. I will reply on RGC if I have time, but sometime I am online but not present.

You can always use our Support Room: /j support

I guess It's only me but I never blame a lowskill player, I dont mid if a person cant get 100cs even if he has freefarm, it's very unconstructive to flame about.

imo it's not that bad as u showing it.

i don't see many flamers in comm.

but blamers are actual.

It's easy actually;

1) As long as there are people that play a game only for winning rather than for having fun (community = solidaric), it's impossible to create a good atmosphere. A drive to win is necessary for the sake of improvement and competetition, but playing allready won games will neither improve you nor is it competetive.

2) People criticizing and blaming others in a non-contructive way are often very bad in accepting criticism themselves and will view it as a personal offense rather than a chance to try to learn from it. They singlehandedly destroy the fun for at least 4 players out 10 players in the game and raise frustration levels. These are the real cancer in any community and need to be rooted out permanently instead of giving them a timeban. It's not the same if a "known" and ok guy looses cool once and ragequits or if someone arrived with kiddo-internet-aggression written all over his face. Don't think so much about permanently unvouching retards, just do it, what good is a two week ban if after that time the same idiot is here again?

Well, I dont want to look like an anonymous riot starter here so I want to leave my opinion in here aswell. I actually wanted to start this thread with much more detail but since Ragnesis placed it here already (no worries), Ill work with what Ive got.

In this giant wall of text Ill try to cover 2 points:
    What unmannered behaviour really is, what actions and attitude are bad for the community and what causes it?
    How to deal with it?

There are many factors within DoTA that foster such behaviour. Games last for less than an hour ensuring the relationship between players (if we assume they havent seen each other before nor will see each other again) is kept at a bare minimum. The sole purpose of the 5 players in a public environment would be to use the other 4 players to achieve their goal win the game, in any way possible. A community is created to prevent such attitude towards DoTA, switching the main focus from winning the game to having fun in it.

As DoTA is a game that lasts quite shortly and can end in only a win or a loss, winning is obviously a key factor in each game. How important is it ? Is it the only way to say the game was fun? Some people are of the opinion that a lost game = lost time. Such attitude is not part of any community and must be taken out of it completely. Every game is useful and hopefully fun, unless its some marginal case of you getting roflstomped with your 4 teammates AFK.

In public games people enter DoTA games with the attitude that anyone around them is a complete and utter idiot and they need to make sure they teach them and win themselves the game. Why would manners matter? You wont care for those people after about 50 minutes.

Hence it takes a very selected number of people to play without having random flamers and haters.
    This brings us back to the idea of a smaller community. Key word being smaller. Cnancel said it perfectly in very few words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnacnel View Post
    As I see it, the "golden age" of dr was when everyone knew everybody. It was possible when the channel was active and when there were less people.
    Relationships between people who see each other on the Internet for the first time can be described by one word: nonexistent. Its so impersonal that you and the other person can be just about anyone and your actions will not affect your life in any way shape or form. Only once people get to know each other will they respect each other and try to act like a human being towards them. The fact is people dont treat other people IRL like in DoTA.

Its a fact that were all here mostly because of the DoTA games and our main focus is to have fun in those games, enjoy them as much as possible. Each person however has his own idea of a satisfactory game ranging from playing in a polite environment to going 20-0 with Pudge. Everyone wants to fulfill their need obviously and then those needs collide. Ones who want to pwn start to fight with the people who are there for manners thereby making them unhappy as well. And much more examples. Meaning that if you dont have 10 people with the same view on DoTA you cant have an enjoyable game, not in general at least. Therefore leagues and communities arise to gather players with similar expectations from the game.

One of the key problems is determining which player is good for the community and which one is bad for it as a whole. Surely we all have to give room to people for mistakes, for losing their cool briefly, cutting everyone some slack. How much? Being extra strict has its downsides as well, because the harsher the rules and lower the tolerance rate the less people there will be and therefore less games, which might even result in the community to die out because of the fast games they get in the public channel(Like Sir-Rogers already stated). The opposite case would result in more people which would definitely result in more unfamiliarity with other people and clearly less manners. In short:
    Less people --> Less games
    More people --> Less manners
    Though having less people and better manners might attract more mannered people who recognize it as a good community and therefore result in the starting number of people with a much better manner level. Sounds logical to me.

Once the players are set in the community it goes down to the problem of how to keep them happy. Once again, everyones here mostly for DoTA and that must be taken into account. Here I would like to make a comparison to another game that Im playing and with which Im much more satisfied manner-wise World of Warcraft. Lets go down some basic terminology for you to understand the following section.
    A realm is an instance of the WoW game world. Players inside it act as a community.
    At the basic level WoW is divided into 2 parts- PvE and PvP.
    PvP- player versus player. Dota-like battles.
    PvE- player versus environment. Players versus hard computer bosses and such.
    Guilds = clans
    Random heroic dungeons- bnet pub

I would like to compare a community in WoW (realm/battlegroup) with the one that is Dr.community. DR is a community mostly focused on providing people with DoTA games. WoW however has a much more versatile community. People gather to achieve victories in numerous hard battles in pve and pvp but also while theyre not doing it they gather around, mostly in capital cities to just hang around, have fun with miscellaneous fun items, meet people they might like. Guilds also serve this purpose. WoW realms (battlegroups in battles) contain MUCH more players but the general feel is absolutely better, at least where Im playing. (s-Lightbringer b-Cruelty/Crueldad if anyone wants to know), it just might be worse somewhere else. Players have a much larger tolerance rate to failure, refrain from flaming and blaming and come wanting mainly to have fun. Even the pubbiest of the pub - random hcs contain a huge amount of manners and tolerance. Quote from one I did a few days ago:
    Person A: You dumb moron, why did you do that?
    Person B: Everyone makes mistakes, leave him alone.
    Person C: Re-check your attitude mate.
    Person D: If you want to whine I suggest you leave this group, we dont want it.
    Person A considers what he will gain by staying and the penalty if he leaves and apologizes.
    THAT is the way to deal with such people, drown them in the sea of tolerance. Atm I have the feeling that if there is 1 unmannered person in the team he forces the others to get angry as well, that must not happen, they have to let him know his attitude is not accepted. This must be achieved. Lets try and find out how.

Lets see what creates a better situation in WoW than we have in DR. Imho its because the players interact in a much more casual atmosphere while not actually playing their DoTA which creates union between people. This I feel is the key factor and we must find a way to implement it in the community. Events / tournaments(there is one coming right?) / whatever you can think off, this is what I want you to reply to, this is my main suggestion. Making people chat and have fun in the chat itself and get to know other players from the community is the key factor for them to have fun once theyre in the all so seriuz games of DoTA. Just playing the games somehow has a feel of work to it, which automatically brings up stress which induces intolerance which creates bad manners and attitude.
    Games = Work = Stress = Intolerance = Bad manners
    Only focusing on games creates 2 groups of people each hour-ish winners and losers. More on that in a moment.

Note also that unlike DoTA, WoW player base is 70% (maybe outdated info) over 18 years old so that must definitely be taken into account.
    Now enough WoW before havo goes MAD.

Ive mentioned winners and losers after each game- how do their feelings after a won/lost game affect the community? Different personalities create different levels of satisfaction and behaviour in each of those shifts from mocking, flaming to acceptance, kidding. This difference between players after a game that has ended must be kept at a bare minimum to ensure that everyone feels the same, happy if possible. Its hard for me to think of a way to create this attitude, imo people knowing each other better makes them play games more often so its not the situation where theres a player from whom youve just lost, but a player who youve beaten and lost from, numerous times, and also had fun with, via chatting and gaming. So, players knowing each other better, having fun chatting? That brings me back to the events suggestion. Players must enter the community with the will to have FUN. They cant be expected to spend their times participating in some chats in DR.community , but they can be persuaded to do so One of the ways that comes to mind is 9 people obviously knowing each other and chatting away, the 10th person feels left out and wants to participate in the conversation but doesnt know the people- he will start participating in chats in the community. This can only be a healthy attitude.

Lets look at some more aspects of a community, namely rules. Rules are by far the most important part of any community and must be carefully looked into. By the time I reached this part of my speech this message has appeared in DR.community:
    Staff members are starting to enforce harsh punishments for flamers, blamers and harassers. Mind your manners and follow the com rules u agreed to when you made your vouch request!
    Okay, harsh rules. Is it a good idea? In short saying the rules are more strict is good at the moment when things get slightly out of hand to let players know its been noted but its bad in the long run (imho). Forcing people to abide by the rules doesnt necessarily create a positive atmosphere, not with everyone. Harsh rules can lead to quotes like:
    I hate you all but I cant say anything because the big bad admins will punish me for saying what I want.
    What the community needs are people who dont even WANT to complain, not those who want to but cant do so because of the rules.

With it I came to my next point- admins, closely connected to the rules. How should the admins behave in order for the community to work? Note that the first step is to ensure the community consists of people who respect the admins for what they do in the first place. In response to a downfall in manners there are mainly 2 roads to go- one that is currently being taken appearing to be much more strict. Im of the opinion that a bad attitude from the admins fosters a bad feel in the air, making people afraid of talking because they might say something wrong. A much more subtle approach is necessary acting when necessary in a strict, ruthless manner. Im not necessarily suggesting that admins have to be cheerful, funny people, they should always keep a minor distance to other people in the community due to their job, but loosening up of the admins creates a much more careless, happy atmosphere which can only be good.
    Butt licker pro mode on. If you could do me a favour and not accuse me of sucking up right here I would like to name a person who, from what Ive seen is a great example of an admin- Sir Rogers. Now my knowledge of him is ofc minor but from what Ive seen hes a cheerful person that has fun talking to randoms in the chat. But when he needs to act, he does it swiftly and without mercy, it will be like he said. Butt licker pro mode off.
    Ive done my share of administrating in numerous places and that is just the way I found best.

Now if my sociology is still at a decent level, there are 3 types of leadership- authoritative, democratical and laissez faire (let everyone do what they want). Its not directly connected to this situation but it will serve its purpose. Each type of leadership has its upsides and downsides, like you might imagine. I feel that it should be adapted towards the audience, here being mostly 15-25 year old video game players. Its not an audience which can reply positively to an authoritative leadership and its definitely not one who should be let alone to wreak havoc. It needs guidelines, a voice of an admin to always be there to make an ultimate decision but mainly must be let alone to have fun.

The second VERY big problem in this growing community IS that even tho we shouldnt and we dont have skill requirements... Some people definitely dont belong here since they ruin games with their extreme lowskill. Therefor people try to avoid them (also with slight pinches and mockeries about how bad they are)... This all creates one very bad atmosphere! The problem of this problem is that some egomaniacs dont see the difference between extreme lowskill and bad players. How? Well, they'd flood the site with ban requests on someone who did bad and made him (them) lose the game. Why? Cuz he felt angry about that loss and had to take it out on someone.
    This was a very interesting opinion, Id like to talk about it at least a little.
    Player skill is, like we all know, an extremely minor expectation in the community, but what would happen should it be hightened to at least a small skill requirement. There are 2 types of bad players- ones that are willing to learn and ones that arent and think of themselves as GOD PRO OWNERS. Relatively speaking, everyone is bad considering they can always be better and have to strive to do so. Inside a community however there are players that are just more skilled than others. Even though in DoTA you can always outplay a better opponent, there is a general skill level thats omnipresent. For example, I just played 2 games with Cookie in the opposite team and I didnt do that well in our encounters (this is hard because DoTA relies way too much on all 5 players in each team) because he, very obviously, IS a better, more skilled player than I am. What did I do? QQ? No, I want to better myself by looking at how he plays, take notes and go upwards in skill. This attitude should be present among every player however it is extremely hard to expect people to admit their mistakes and look at people who are better than you outplay you. At least a minor positive attitude in this regard is needed, not dismissing an obvious learning opportunity and stubbornly doing it the wrong way cause their mum says theyre special. This attitude must be forced out of a player, if not I agree that such a person is not good for the community and should be warned / taken out(mostly because in that case hes too childish anyway).

2.) Flaming
    3.) Blaming / Whining
    4.) Mocking / Provoking
    5.) Intentional game running

1.) Almost no excuses acceptable, leaving is strictly forbidden in order for people to enjoy their games. Unvouchable without a doubt.

2.) What is flaming? Wikipedia says: Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming is probably the hardest to determine its limits. In general I feel any player with the aim to flame in a game shouldnt be allowed to be in this community.

3.) You all know, you all hate it. Teamfight ends, and not in your favour. Messages start popping up. omg cm why didnt you go the other way then use your salve on me then tell me miss then buy divine rapier and made rampage ffs? Peoples need to distract the team from pointing at their own mistakes, by rather focusing on another person and his (usually smaller) mistakes. When someone makes mistakes people SHOULD point them out but in that manner. Constructive criticism is the way to go and for the player to be better. Blaming is an annoying behaviour that is not unvouchable via rules but it damn well should be. Going back to the unvouch request that started this whole thread I mentioned the naix who kept blaming me for my mistakes whereas he made much bigger ones. And he made me angry much, much more than the flaming wr who got unvouched. His attitude is the one who spreads bad behaviour around, people end their games upset and enter new ones where they might continue the spree. I suggest going to that unvouch request and checking what that naix was saying in the chatlog - THAT is the attitude that I feel is deadly for any community and must be purged without mercy.

4.) Another situation you all know and despise. Scourge loses their middle lane. Everyone on scourge is upset, cause well, theyre losing the game and then it starts. Sentinel players start getting talkative, commenting on everything, expressing their satisfaction with the game going in their favour- commonly suiciding into the scourge team and then saying the famous lines Haters be hatin, I was typing so I died lol. Dude, its just another kill among many others, we dont want it commentated, we got Tobi for that. Its hard to prevent people from being happy but this is hurting people with your happiness, its like going to a funeral and telling everyone how you won the lottery and how youll be rich. People must need to realize that they just have to calm down then and stick to ally chat. Unvouchable? Harldy, but needs some work.

5.) Utterly unvouchable, no matter how other players are making you mad the game must come first until it finishes and going afk / feeding etc is never an option. Without a doubt bad for the community and needs to disappear.

Not that also, anyone can make mistakes once or twice because theyre in a bad mood, so they cant be immediately punished, but Ive been through that already.

^
    =Total of 9 hours of thinking / asking around / searching & writing down.

Hellspawn out. Literally -.-
    /sleep
    Last edited by nF.Hellspawn; 31-10-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Visual optimization, huge gram mistake made whole paragraph sound different >.<

I havent read everything in this thread (what a wall of text is this post above me o_o) but for me the answer is very simple. I think the rules on the voucher/moderator side are too strict or whatever. I think it happens to all of us vouchers that we are playing a game with someone who has a really bad attitude but doesn't really break any rules and therefor he doesn't get unvouched. Maybe later they end up breaking some minor rules and get 3 day timebans or whatever but in the meantime they ruin the fun atmosphere (to some extent) in every game they play. I know it seems kind of scary to let vouchers unvouch people when they want to, but for me it seems to be the only way to solve this.

Drama again... I`ve been following this thread for couple of days

Now

Hellspawn: Quite a long post but you contradict yourself in almost every point you wrote. Also as a team based game DotA cant bring the whole community together."Though having less people and better manners might attract more mannered people who recognize it as a good community and therefore result in the starting number of people with a much better manner level. Sounds logical to me. " Yes, this sounds logical but as so many things that do - it is not true.
    Even a tournament ( yes its coming) is clustering people together (5, 6 man team) and not the community as a whole. You do not chat with the people you play against nor discuss games with them after that. You look to the next game and train with your team.

Many of your suggestions are quite idyllic and very hard to reach if possible at all. Our main goal is to make people realize that this is not a damn league and they should not expect the level of skill what a league would offer ( a real one not the e-astral and alike ).

Harsher punishments are much needed. "What the community needs are people who dont even WANT to complain" - that is impossible. Everyone will feel the urge to complain or even flame. The rules have preventive role. Many people dont listen to others at all. So if u want to "drown them in the sea of tolerance" you will just get the finger in the face. This is where the rules come in. They remind the players what behaviour is expected of them and what will happen if they fail to show it. Hopefully after spending some time in com people would not be intimidated by the rules because they have gained the needed attitude to play in it. Even in your WoW example with A B C D you can see that a rule comes into play for the person who is flaming - 1. continue to flame and get kicked out of the community, join another one etc. , 2. Comply with the attitude that he is required to have and continue playing there. Same is the case with DR.
    "I hate you all but I cant say anything because the big bad admins will punish me for saying what I want." There is so much hippocrisy and lies in the real world... you can never be sure if someone is honest with you. Same goes for the inet even multiplied. So as long as players behave like they should that benefits the community. You can never tell if they are mannered people that understand what the community is all about or or just afraid cuz they might get punished. As i said lets hope that even the latter will learn to behave. We are not elementary school and we can not teach proper bahaviour that people lack in real life to begin with. Not to mention internet is the place to compencate for rl misfortunes etc..

So in a nutshell - we start to enforce harsher punishments, unvouch people who show that they do not belong here and try to make it perfectly clear for the new vouched users what DotARank is and what is expected of them to play here. Everywhere you go there are some rules that should be followed. I think the DR.com rules are quite simple and if followed will lead to a nice game.

The skills problem - there is such an issue as some players are clearly lower skilled than the mid level in com. We urge this players to try and improve their game, learn from the better players, read some dota guidelines and take the maximum they can from every game they play. You must always be open minded if you are to learn something and this goes for all things not just dota.

Ranked Gaming Client tutorial for version 4.0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctJHWfSIgxg
    Ranked Gaming Client tutorial : Getting vouched - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bd6rqNrchE
    How to change your client`s sounds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT3DPKD4X7M
    Hitler gets unvouched from DotARank - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd6...m-dotarank_fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast