Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Moving Servers & Development

I've been reading a little on eurobattle.net and I decided not to go there. Something that really made me look upon eurobattle as a negative thing is the following:
    A full carry has no obligation to gang, help team in early game, his obligation is to farm, and that means almost never to miss a creep, in other words have very good micro and farming abilities, this is the lowest factor of any newcomer.

Knowing this, you'll ask yourself this question "SO, when am I going to be able to play my favourite hero like spectre, razor, mortred, all of those carry heroes that you played in pubs?". Here's the average curve of how things would probably progress.

1st Month - Playing supports mostly, maybe from time to time, someone would give you to play semi-tank or semi-support, that depends on captain only. This would probably be the worst period as you have to be everyone's ward biatch.

2-3 Months - IF you manage to get that far, you'd probably earn some confidence factor among captains, you'll play support only if you want to, but may have the freedom of choice to pick a tank or semi-carry. In this stage some other newcomer would probably take your place in the 1st month period.

4+ Months - Well, depending on how much you have proven this far, this could be time when you will gain enough confidence to play some of the carry heroes, and some of the most important roles in the team.
    This is prolly the worst crap I've ever heard concerning DotA :-\ If I for 1 month should play only support heroes and buying wards for everyone, I would lose my interest in DotA completely.
    The great thing about DotA is the many possibilities. +90 heroes to choose from and no thing such as "Best item-build". Simply. Every game is different from the previous one.
    This attitude of eurobattle kills the fun completely imo and therefor would I rather play normal pubgames at Northrend than this -.-

This is prolly the worst crap I've ever heard concerning DotA
    indeed
    but this rules have nothing about dotarank, u gonna keep playing dotarank games as usual - hero u want & the way u want
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by GodricBaltimore
    I've been reading a little on eurobattle.net and I decided not to go there. Something that really made me look upon eurobattle as a negative thing is the following:
    A full carry has no obligation to gang, help team in early game, his obligation is to farm, and that means almost never to miss a creep, in other words have very good micro and farming abilities, this is the lowest factor of any newcomer.

Knowing this, you'll ask yourself this question "SO, when am I going to be able to play my favourite hero like spectre, razor, mortred, all of those carry heroes that you played in pubs?". Here's the average curve of how things would probably progress.

1st Month - Playing supports mostly, maybe from time to time, someone would give you to play semi-tank or semi-support, that depends on captain only. This would probably be the worst period as you have to be everyone's ward biatch.

2-3 Months - IF you manage to get that far, you'd probably earn some confidence factor among captains, you'll play support only if you want to, but may have the freedom of choice to pick a tank or semi-carry. In this stage some other newcomer would probably take your place in the 1st month period.

4+ Months - Well, depending on how much you have proven this far, this could be time when you will gain enough confidence to play some of the carry heroes, and some of the most important roles in the team.
    This is prolly the worst crap I've ever heard concerning DotA :-\ If I for 1 month should play only support heroes and buying wards for everyone, I would lose my interest in DotA completely.
    The great thing about DotA is the many possibilities. +90 heroes to choose from and no thing such as "Best item-build". Simply. Every game is different from the previous one.
    This attitude of eurobattle kills the fun completely imo and therefor would I rather play normal pubgames at Northrend than this -.-
    I didn't know this and I have no idea where you found it. Eurobattle is a server like bnet. There is no regulation on how dotarank games are to be played, it is solely governed by ourselves.

I added the suppport and how-to for linux/mac os users, check the sticky.
    "I am just another lost soul, locked inside a box, looking for a key."

Please do not write me visitor messages or private messages on the forums, I do not have the time to check the at this point in time. I will reply on RGC if I have time, but sometime I am online but not present.

You can always use our Support Room: /j support

I understand what you're trying to do Rogers, but this is not a smart move. I understand that you're trying to steer dotarank away from the tight inner circles of assholes that critisize your every move, such as DCE, but unfortunately it is the most consistant method for a community of this type.

This community is not a large one. Only with a large community are social groups mostly abolished, because there are so many people you can just go into the next game and not recognise anyone. So infact, a small community like this is very much dependant on social circles to set the standards for newcomers. These standards are often considered elitest, but in reality are not a big deal, or a huge ask. The deliverance of these standards is a delicate matter however; a touch that some lack, but this is the only instance I would consider "badmanner." Sometimes particular groups of friends overstep their mark, in which case you act, as admin, and turn them down a notch, but it is a natural part of multiplayer gaming.

At the end of the day, DotaRank is very, VERY fresh, and moving everything over to a new server is too much to ask. I really doubt you'll get the same numbers as you did on Bnet, or the same quality. DotaRank to me, was a kind of small group gathering of various inhouse players (social circles) that played some casual and generally fun games. Tyr would host his game, and you would see names like Joice, Pienzor, Tex, CNA, etc join for some Dota with very little fuss.

Perhaps you set out with an idea to create something epic, but instead ended up with something smaller, but still special. I suggest you roll with what you have now instead of trying to alter it, before it's too late. You need to re-evaluate your goals and objectives, because you're at the tipping point now.

Glad to see all of you XD /f add [BoS]Silver (it's my account on Eurobattle)

Quote Originally Posted by GodricBaltimore

you are talking about this: http://eurobattle.net/showthread.php?t=79827 ?
    Yeah already saw it myself. Really funny, especially since the current version doesn't really need a carry in a good team.
    I kinda want to sign up there just to rage carry with dazzle or lich. Fuck yeah dagon lich!
    Im grossen Buch des Lebens steht es schwarz auf weiss geschrieben:
    Du sollst Dich von allen Menschen stets am meisten lieben.
    Du sollst keine anderen Götter haben neben Dir,
    Ich bin mein eig'ner Gott und ich gehöre nur mir!

Quote Originally Posted by Orcley
    I understand what you're trying to do Rogers, but this is not a smart move. I understand that you're trying to steer dotarank away from the tight inner circles of assholes that critisize your every move, such as DCE, but unfortunately it is the most consistant method for a community of this type.

This community is not a large one. Only with a large community are social groups mostly abolished, because there are so many people you can just go into the next game and not recognise anyone. So infact, a small community like this is very much dependant on social circles to set the standards for newcomers. These standards are often considered elitest, but in reality are not a big deal, or a huge ask. The deliverance of these standards is a delicate matter however; a touch that some lack, but this is the only instance I would consider "badmanner." Sometimes particular groups of friends overstep their mark, in which case you act, as admin, and turn them down a notch, but it is a natural part of multiplayer gaming.

At the end of the day, DotaRank is very, VERY fresh, and moving everything over to a new server is too much to ask. I really doubt you'll get the same numbers as you did on Bnet, or the same quality. DotaRank to me, was a kind of small group gathering of various inhouse players (social circles) that played some casual and generally fun games. Tyr would host his game, and you would see names like Joice, Pienzor, Tex, CNA, etc join for some Dota with very little fuss.

Perhaps you set out with an idea to create something epic, but instead ended up with something smaller, but still special. I suggest you roll with what you have now instead of trying to alter it, before it's too late. You need to re-evaluate your goals and objectives, because you're at the tipping point now.
    No offense Orcley, I stopped reading at "I understand what you're trying to do...", because you really don't. I will most probably read the rest of your post at another point when I have the time to dive into it.

Let's lay it out clear: Blizzard introduced the Warden and I do not have the time to update the bots with the Anti-Warden. Believe it or not, but I do actually have a life and university exams to pass. Eurobattle does not have Warden and so I had to make a choice. I moved there to be able to still provide games to the dotarank community. I am very aware of the risks that I am taking here, but the players that actually care about the community already came over and are having games on Eurobattle. I understand that there are other people who care, but have friends on battle.net and therefore aren't moving.

Eurobattle is the best choice in the longer run, as the staff who are maintaining it care about the players and the server. It will be a much more stable base for a community. This is the way dotarank is going. I am not saying we're not ever going to come back to Northrend, we probably will, but it will take around 3 months until that happens, and that's a rough estimate.

So everyone that does care about the community and wants to have good games, it only takes 10 minutes to set up and join us on Eurobattle. I am very open to discussion about the future of the community, however I will not tolerate any negative comments about moving to Eurobattle to myself or other players. The decision has been made and this is how it will happen, anyone opposing the decision will face the consequences for doing so.

Nothing will change, if the dotarank players move from Northrend to Eurobattle then they will still play with their dotarank friends just on a different server.

Regards,
    Sir Rogers

Please do not write me visitor messages or private messages on the forums, I do not have the time to check the at this point in time. I will reply on RGC if I have time, but sometime I am online but not present.

Ill make my peace and be done with it.

You're extremely defensive because you know this is a dumb idea. You'll be lucky if you get anything near 20 reliable and consistantly active players on this laggy private server crap. Warden is a problem yes - but people dont need a bot to host a game. There is alot of different ways you can create a "Dota Community." Your post seems like a plea in my eyes.

Whatever, I dont really care. I just like to trying to make people see their mistakes. Unfortunately most are not intelligent enough to see them. I see this is a lost cause, so ill make my peace and be done with it.
    u really dont know what ure talking about... i've seen 30 players in channel today, though the bot is still on the stage of assimilation to the new realm. The main idea is to keep community compact for now, till the most of problems will be solved. It's not a mistake, it's supposed to be in this state for now, cuz it's the best for community atm.
    <br />

Better to have 20 player who can play, than to have 100 player who trashtalk, flame, cheat, noobing, assholing, and so on..

yes, my english is good thx

and yes, rogers has a life, sometimes he dissappears in skype, and i think "wtf, he went away from computer?"
    All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

You're extremely defensive because you know this is a dumb idea. You'll be lucky if you get anything near 20 reliable and consistantly active players on this laggy private server crap. Warden is a problem yes - but people dont need a bot to host a game. There is alot of different ways you can create a "Dota Community." Your post seems like a plea in my eyes.

Whatever, I dont really care. I just like to trying to make people see their mistakes. Unfortunately most are not intelligent enough to see them. I see this is a lost cause, so ill make my peace and be done with it.
    I would also like to say that this is not anything like a plea, it's the way things are going, there isn't another option.

As I said I encourge positive discussions and please do voice your opinion, but only if you do so with manners and good reason.
    Orcley's childish behaviour isn't acceptable by any means. He's been banned from the communtiy and the forums as a result of his actions and his total disrespect.

I know the Eurobattle Installer isn't perfect and requires getting used to, but it works. If anyone encounters problems, feel free to contact me via PM or on Northrend (if you catch me while I'm not afk) and I will help you out.

Regards,
    Sir Rogers

Orcley's post definitely wasn't good manners but banning people for a post stating a - (okay, ... ) very - sceptic state,ment is a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm myself not too happy with having to setup yet more changes. I'll try anyway - hadn't had the time yet though.
    I greatly respect and appreciate your concern for good manners Roger but sometimes it gives me the impression of a very radical and restrictive rule.

PS.
    Don't take anything of this personal. I'm ready for some aggressive replies
    [center]<br />Forestle.org - the &quot;green search engine&quot;<br /><br /><br />[center]

well he was already banned from dotarank games because of his intollerable behaviour against 'noobs'.

This new server/community story is driving me nuts. I cannot login onto the server cuz my pw is wrong. I´ve created my account and activated it...
    Besides I cant use my main email for register cuz "It doesnt looks like a real mail adresse" -.-

Quote Originally Posted by fukctard
    This new server/community story is driving me nuts. I cannot login onto the server cuz my pw is wrong. I´ve created my account and activated it...
    Besides I cant use my main email for register cuz "It doesnt looks like a real mail adresse" -.-

Don't use the eurobattle forum/community. Just use this

I have the same problem so I just won't use eurobattle.

To be a registered user all you need to do is click 'Battle.net' at the top of the screen and choose Eurobattle and then write your name. Then enter the game and type !confirm either to the bot or in the channel.

when will bot be up?

Quote Originally Posted by sfornatini
    when will bot be up?
    It is already up on Eurobattle. The channelbot doesn't work, that means a GM has to host games, however there's enough GMs online, it's not a problem.

The games hosted are perfectly stable and lagfree. The bot hasn't been disconnected once from Eurobattle, so it's all good.

dunno why some people dont want to change because its too much work to do. its not more than 3 minutes to set up and u can play a dotarank game like before. but for some this three minutes seem to be enough for a good game. there are some other reasons like friends on Northrend i fully understand, so i hope DR will be back on Northrend in some month.
    i think it was a good choice to change to eurobattle since some games are better then no games.

now when the bot is running constantly what are the next things you will work on? the balance system?
    and will the previous games added to the new ones. doesnt matter for now, but when the balance system is there it will maybe.

Fluffy

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy
    dunno why some people dont want to change. its not more than 3 minutes to set up and u can play a dotarank game like before. but for some this three minutes seem to be enough for a good game
    i think it was a good choice to change to eurobattle since some games are better then no games. Hope it will be back on Northrend some time, because not all want to come to eurobattle

now when the bot is running constantly what are the next things you will work on? the balance system?
    and will the previous games added to the new ones. doesnt matter for now, but when the balance system is there it will maybe.

Fluffy
    The first thing that I'm working on is completely lagfree games and making everything a 100% stable and working on multiple servers.

After that I'll work on the balancing system. Once the balancing system is done, I'll do work on the website.

And once we change to the new website and everything is running smoothly I will work on a fix for Northrend.

Eurobattle is now the test server until we're out of beta. Once everything works just fine and we can go out of Beta I will work on getting dotarank to other servers.

Quote Originally Posted by fukctard

Have u run the eurobatlle regristry in wc3 folder? Until u do so u wont log in to eurobatlle server. ATM ur probably tryiing to log in on northrend

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast