Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Upcoming Competitive Section

Quote Originally Posted by gude_laune
    For building the teams I'd suggest that the community chose some captains and they pick the players out of a pool one by one.
    What I was thinking. Excellent idea thus.

For building the teams I'd suggest that the community chose some captains and they pick the players out of a pool one by one.
    !support.
    Besides getting to know each other personally you also get used to each others play so you can estimate their moves and adept.
    thats true. i feel a conection with jue1z every time we lane =) it just goes really smooth

Quote Originally Posted by gude_laune
    Hey follks,
    I really like the idea about getting a competitive section. My opinion on the single topics:
    Competitive Team:
    Everybody who played some competitive games so far will agree with me that there is no better way to learn as many aspects of the game so fast. There are many good players out there who will be able to play way above their current skill level if they're eager to learn and listen. Some voice tool (vent) could help very much here because it's allways hard to both explain stuff in chat and play by yourself.
    Tournaments:
    Tournaments with players you know are huge fun. Besides getting to know each other personally you also get used to each others play so you can estimate their moves and adept. For building the teams I'd suggest that the community chose some captains and they pick the players out of a pool one by one.
    Ladder:
    I personally totally dislike this idea. The thing which makes dotarank special is that there is a friendly athmosphere and no direct competition. Getting some kind of scoring system will allways lead to players being annoyed by their teammates which is followed by flaming most of the time. It's also kind of impossible to measure the skill of a player or better how he did in this very game in any numbers due to the complexity of dota and the different roles of heros. I also agree with Sirian that unbalanced games aren't that bad because you can learn very much. And we don't play only in order to win, do we?
    I'd rather face a good player and play really concentrated and maybe lose then play together with him for an easy win(it's not like stacked team never lose though).
    so long

die gude laune in person
    There are some very good points in this adorable post, thanks a lot for the input. On the point with the ladder, I was thinking of a ladder for chosen teams, with seasons instead of having a one-off tournament they could advance between the division and so forth, like on dota-league, but that's not the most important idea. I'm much more interested in our internal weekly tournaments, since it will create stronger bonds between the players, as you mentionned.

However there are some things that we will have to clarify, there are a few things that I don't like about chosing captains and the captains picking their players:
    1) It will give opportunity for preferential treatment, which I am avoiding at all cost for anything I do for dotarank and the community.
    There's not only the danger of preferential treatment, but adding to that new players will be frequently left out, so I don't think it's a good idea.
    2) The teams will not be balanced enough. Though you might argue that most teams will be, I am saying that there will be strong and only mediocore teams. And although the small skill difference doesn't matter too much in normal games, it has a huge impact in competitive games.

Also, if everyone knows that the teams will be randomized every week, it's for the best. People will play with new faces, get to know other players that are maybe or maybe not newcomers to the community, I think it's a better way of handling the situation. What is possible though is that the captains are chosen beforehand and not taken into the randomization process.

So if you want to suggest that the captains are picked by the players from the pool of people in a given week then I don't see anything wrong with that. Now to the next topic: the pool of players for each given week. The time for the start of the tournament will be set and people will know whether they can or cannot play in a given week. Now there has to be a way for the organisational team to know who's taking part and who's not.

I think that a post on the forums where you can sign up on, or a page on the website would be the best solution. Although not as many people use the website, it's the best way to communicate if you can't make it anymore after you've signed up for a tournament and it gives us the possibility to find an emergency replacement.

I believe that's everything for now.

Regards,
    Sir Rogers
    "I am just another lost soul, locked inside a box, looking for a key."

Please do not write me visitor messages or private messages on the forums, I do not have the time to check the at this point in time. I will reply on RGC if I have time, but sometime I am online but not present.

You can always use our Support Room: /j support

All that sounds great so far and I love to take part in this tournament thing. But please alter tournament days each week since i have to work every tuesday and wednesday night. I would be sad if you pick one of these days regularly for the tournament.
    http://www.leabosco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LéaB
    All that sounds great so far and I love to take part in this tournament thing. But please alter tournament days each week since i have to work every tuesday and wednesday night. I would be sad if you pick one of these days regularly for the tournament.
    I was thinking of making it either Saturday or Sunday, since that's probably when most working people have the time. I'll put up a poll before we decide on a final date and that can be altered anyway.
    "I am just another lost soul, locked inside a box, looking for a key."

Please do not write me visitor messages or private messages on the forums, I do not have the time to check the at this point in time. I will reply on RGC if I have time, but sometime I am online but not present.

You can always use our Support Room: /j support

I was thinking that if you play with the same team for some games you really get to know eachother which could result in very great games.

All though I get your point about potential preferential treatments, so probably it's the best to do as you suggested to start with.
    Later on we can maybe, on a small scale do some funkier stuff.

Like everything about the idea except for any balance suggestions. Players afraid of loosing, feeding or being owned in general shouldn't ever go competetive. The weaker my team is (in relation to the other), the better I have to play and the better I will play, as simple as that. Plus, it's kind of a confidence boost if I manage to own them.

So don't whine, just win.

Really like the idea about the captains, being chosen before hand and then the players being assigned at random atleast for the first few times...

this way all teams will probably get a captain who has an understanding of picking and everybody will get to know eachother a little more...

But really hope that there will be tournaments cuz it would really be fun... Sunday evening sounds okay, but maybe also on week days sometimes as i find i almost never have much sparetime in the weekends..

great initiative..!

Well i like the idea of 2vs2 ladder, i got a good friend that i play the esl 2v2 ladder with and if the bots where moved back to regular bnet we would join for sure.

I allso like the idea about vent/ts and i would love to start using it more even in the normal dotarank games. I know lots of nice empty ts servers we could use if anyone wanna try that.

If DR goes competitive it would be nice to improve teamplay and communication. I for myself thought i never needed something like ventrilo or teamspeak, but now i used it in a couple of games and tournaments I came to the conclusion that it improves my game. Mayb it is an idea to set up a ventrilo server somewhere for Dotarank?
    Just an idea
    -Sirian

well there are alot of open channels like the allstars channel, vent.dota-allstars.com port: 3917 some times its full but we could make some use of it if anyone is up for it ingame.

DR has a TS2 Server: 82.211.8.115:8773 (but no one uses it so far)

one user now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12