Default Announcement regarding this now famous bug "Desync"

Hello, guys.

Well, it's been a while since we started getting some complaints about that. So let's clarify some things.

What's desync?

"Desync'" means the synchronization didn't work correctly.
    desynchs in DotA are when you're in a game, and it looks completely different in your screen than in the other players' screen. So in one game (yours) you're farming top scourge and are getting your 3rd divine while in everyone else's computer you keep walking up mid feeding.

One game proceeds normally, while the desync'ed player actually sees everything different. He sees people suiciding and playing badly, while others see the desync'ed guy suiciding and playing badly. In short: Desync'ed guy plays his game, and others play their game. Two parallel games are running, like in two universes.
    Desyncs do, in fact, happen in real games. The difference is that when Warcraft 3 is hosting a game and detects a desync it just forces the player(s) who desync'ed to leave the game. Common bots don't do this - they allow the game to continue and prints a message instead, although perhaps this behavior should be changed.

What causes desync?

There are several reasons for desyncs. The map can have bugs that cause desyncs. Sometimes these bugs are very hard to fix and even popular maps often desync (although I have no evidence to back me up to, I suspect that this is the main reason for desyncs). Players using poorly designed or very old hacks and cheats can eventually cause desyncs. Players with a corrupt or broken Warcraft 3 installations can sometimes cause desyncs (e.g. the "I see pink and black boxes everywhere" syndrome). This last one is usually fixed by restarting Warcraft 3.

Modifying the sync limit should have no effect on desyncs. Although it is possible for (poorly written) bots to cause desyncs I am almost 100% sure there are no bugs in RGC Bots that can cause a desync. I have been very careful to ensure that all "desyncable game data" is sent in exactly the same order to every player. If a bot does this, then it's impossible for the bot to desync someone, at least as far as I know.
    Desyncs are most likely the map's fault, definitely shouldn't have anything to do with your connection. What map are you playing, and updating to the newest version of ghost is always a good idea.

How can it be detected?

It can't. You'll easily see it by noticing the "OMG NOOB IDIOT SUICIDE ALL THE TIME." ^_^
    If you happen to experience this bug save the replay in case of you being reported by someone who may have interpreted that as a "game ruin" .".

How can solve or avoid this problem?

Remove your dota map and download it again from here. If this doesn't solve you'll have to reinstall warcraft, also avoid alt-tabing when someone is reconnecting.

What is RGC Staff doing to reduce cases of Desync?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Rogers View Post

Anyway, we're drifting away from the point. I'm aware of the fact that they may happen, the reconnection induced desyncs will be fixed in the future. A revamp of the reconnection system is on my to-do list.
    Last edited by Aline!; 27-12-2011 at 05:01 AM.
    Best regards, Pandora

I love MapHackers !

Thank you to all my fans. <3

Quote Originally Posted by minus_arem View Post
    In memory of Sir Rogers :'(

Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult things we can go through.

No words can express what I am feeling right now and I'm sure only time can help me accept the fact that Rogers has left us.

He showed strength until the end and always had some enlightening words for us.
    Let's be happy that he has finally gone home to our creator.

You mean your feed every game is because you desynch Aline. I don't think you can write this as an excuse for your noobness

Good Work on the thread, clarifies what's going on when I get my 3 divines.

Hater... <3

Closed
    Best regards, Pandora

I love MapHackers !

Thank you to all my fans. <3

Quote Originally Posted by minus_arem View Post
    In memory of Sir Rogers :'(

Losing a loved one is one of the most difficult things we can go through.

No words can express what I am feeling right now and I'm sure only time can help me accept the fact that Rogers has left us.

He showed strength until the end and always had some enlightening words for us.
    Let's be happy that he has finally gone home to our creator.