PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision

Dimitris Manos
16-05-2005, 04:37 PM
So guys what do you think of the Eurovision this year? Any songs you like? I usually don't like this kind of music and I think the way they choose a winner is just absurd, but I think this year it will be France that wins, with UK being a close second. Switzerland has also nice music and the girl who sings is pretty and she has a good voice, but the lyrics are... hmm let's just say it might have been better if they sung in German.

Arcanis
16-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Im little dissapointed what will represent us this year, with Ivana Radovnikovic we would fare much better than with Novkovic and his idiotic song and those LADO members >:(

elchrys
17-05-2005, 01:41 AM
I've only heard the Swedish, Greek, UK and Cyprus songs. I haven't heard anything special yet, and I can't tell about the Greek song objectivaly since I hear it daily (tv,radio,out in the street etc)...

imported_blashyrkh
17-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Eurovision songs arenīt that great, but sometimes a really good song appears.
Itīs just a shame that many times the best song doesnīt win ( remember the Austrian
guy a few years ago? HORRIBLE... and the guy won. ??? ).

And thereīs also those swedish girls with extremely short skirts. One of the things that
makes Eurovision worth a watch. ;)

So far, I havenīt heard much, and what Iīve heard isnīt that impressive. Well, letīs wait
and see.

Valdventurer
17-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Greece Rulezzz :D ;D And I'm speakin' objectivaly ::)

elchrys
17-05-2005, 11:12 PM
remember the Austrian

I remember that, it was terrible. How about that person who won from Isreal, what was the name...Dana International I think. The British song was way better than Isreael's but still it won. I was dissapointed in the contest that day.

Valdventurer
18-05-2005, 02:41 AM
i dont know if malta's solosinger will win eurovision but she has already won a contest in a greek gossip magazine as the Fatest singer around. ;D

imported_Ogre
18-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm still wondering why I watch it every year ??? The songs are very bad and only rarely one would sell good in the open market. I guess its the atmospere like whole Europe comes together to celebrate.

Valdventurer
19-05-2005, 07:26 PM
OK this contest is RIDICULLOUS!!! The other participants are ridicullous. Today I watched some songs and they just were plain crap.

elchrys
19-05-2005, 07:47 PM
OK this contest is RIDICULLOUS!!! The other participants are ridicullous. Today I watched some songs and they just were plain crap.

Well it is not ridicullous, it's just a music show for fun. Others can say that Champions League is ridicullous as well...

cipher
20-05-2005, 12:22 AM
At least, Champions' League is quite objective! The only possible error/bias is introduced by
each game's referee; the rest is up to each team's performance (and a bit of luck!).

The whole song evaluation and mark awarding scheme is crap. It's just a matter of having
many neighbours (or even better, belonging to a country that has recently derived from the
division of a greater one into many others!), exposing as much flesh as possible and getting
good-looking guys/gals to sing. It's not just the song that is rated, is it? If they all sung
standing on a microphone and even the ugly ones stood a chance of winning (provided they
had a nice voice/song), perhaps it would worth a bit more.

Also, how could two different kinds of songs be judged simultaneously? If Dream Theater
went there with "Pull Me Under" to compete against Paparizou's "My Number One", how
could you possibly say that one of the two is better? They belong to different areas! One is a
progressive metal song, and the other is a dance song, intended for clubs, where it will be
played for about a year or so, before it wears off.

Additionally, the rules are quite vague, thus enabling others to sing just on their own, and
others to have a whole group of singers and dancers behind/around them. Wouldn't a nice
show bias the "judges"? Then again, who is judging? There are some judges, but people's
votes count significantly.

elchrys
21-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Anybody watched the semi-final last night? I saw a couple of songs and I think this year's winner will be Moldavia. It shows a group singing with an old woman (called 'the grandmother') sitting on a swinging chair, and near the end of the song she gets up and plays a drum. It's an objectivally bad song, but it's funny.

I agree that the judging system is wrong and 9 out of 10 songs are terrible.

hagstrumpa
22-05-2005, 02:49 AM
And thereīs also those swedish girls with extremely short skirts. One of the things that
makes Eurovision worth a watch
This year I urge all female Europeans to look at the Swedish entry. He is quite lookable ;)

About the contest...
I think the music is mostly horrendous but it is a fun show. I love to sit with my friends, complaining about the contestants bad tast in clothing, silly choreography, banal lyrics etc...

Ooops the contest is about to begin. May the best European win!

hagstrumpa
22-05-2005, 04:34 AM
Ooooh, Greece is a toughie.
They should win, although Stenmark from Sweden is much better looking ;D

Dimitris Manos
22-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Ooooh, Greece is a toughie.
They should win, although Stenmark from Sweden is much better looking ;D

I couldn't personally talk about Stenmark since he is not a member of my interest matter :) but I was watching the contest last night with some friends and I have to admit that all girls in the group were drooling when he was performing. I kind of knew however that he didn't have a chance from the very beginning because the subject of the song, Las Vegas, is something that I think most Europeans can't connect to. I was surprised and glad at the same time that Greece won.

As for the contest as a whole, I thought it was quite ok, but I didn't like the fact that there was so much politics involved. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in politics in general, but I think that politics should stay out of such contests.

Valdventurer
22-05-2005, 06:03 PM
can you dimitris stop being serious for just a second? its your country that won, have you forgot your roots so fast ???
WE WON!! WOOHOOO!! WE WON!! EUROVISION 2006 ATHENS ;D ;D
ow YEAHH, thats something to wait for!!

(who cares about politics)
Art is politics itself. There is not a single singer, actor, paintings artist, sculpturer, who does not influence politics in his way!! And when we are at the time of EU expansion you tell me eurovision should stay clear of politics???

GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! ! GREECE RULEZZZ!! !

elchrys
22-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Politics has been part of Eurovision since the day the people start voting instead of judges, so I found nothing new in this year's voting system. Maybe we got more 12's because more Balcan countries joined the competition, but we did have a good song as well.

Other special songs, were Malta's and Croatia's , as they didn't have just 5 blond women with mediocre voices dancing and 1/2 singing.

Congratulations to Helena Paparizou for a stunning performance. We love her. :):):)

imported_Ogre
22-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Congratulations Dimi (and all the others from Greek) for winning. Hay we won, too... we were the first from the other side (last place ;-).

imported_Leo
25-05-2005, 06:58 PM
For once the best song won it. I think this year was better than others but most of the songs were still pretty crap. At least the eurovision is a good way to learn your geography what with all the neighbours voting for each other. Pity Ireland only has one neighbour.

And why do all good things have to happen to Greece? ??? First Euro 2004, then they host the olympics and now they win the Eurovision?! They ill probably win the Wotld Cut next year the way things are going.

By the way, cogradulations.

elchrys
26-05-2005, 01:08 AM
...because God is greek ;)

I just like that Eurovision has improved as a show in the last 3 years

MichaelS
27-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Eurovision songs arenīt that great, but sometimes a really good song appears.
Itīs just a shame that many times the best song doesnīt win ( remember the Austrian

Hello Eurovision fans !

First of all congratulations to Greece and to Germany ;) !

Well, I am representing Austria here :'( ... we did not even join the final this year ...
@blashyrkh: The only time Austria ever won was back in 1966 (Udo Jurgens with Mercie Cherie).
Did you mean him ? That was almost 40 years ago, I even was not born yet ...
Actually the song was not too bad, at least not HORRIBLE.

Bye,
Michael

Stobbart
04-06-2005, 08:06 AM
I live in Russia, but... but russian singer was sucks! ))

Malta was the best ;)

Valdventurer
08-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Actually Malta sucked. Bleeeh.

I loved Norway. It was the best of the best. Also liked the English song.

elchrys
10-06-2005, 03:24 AM
Malta had a nice voice.

phil1908
10-06-2005, 03:04 PM
my preference went to Latvania and Modovia, the last more for their special exhibition :-\

Valdventurer
12-06-2005, 07:55 AM
The songs that first come to my mind as good are: England, Latvia, Norway. At least those I remember right now...