PDA

View Full Version : E3 pre Show Conference opinion

imported_wedge
11-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Okay.

I've been watching all three makor conference from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo that took place some days ago, and today I'd like to share with you who are interested in next gen consoles, what are the big announcement I've seen during these three conference.

I'll start with Sony as they were the first to do their conference. First of all I would say that this conference totally disapoint me. I did not find it great, and not much things were interesting the big stuff, were some games live demo, but many far from last years video. The biggest hings were the trailers for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII both planned on PS3. the other major things was the controler that finally came back with the old shape every one knows. Change L2/R2 to analog button like on Xbox and Gamecube controlers, add a big button on center of the controler like the Xbox 360 controler Guide Button. And a titlsensor that feel the movement of the controler on 6 axis. But nothing to be compared with the Wii controler it use tilt sensors, and not real 3D positioning system and have no way to point thing at the screens oh and since it does that it cannot do anymore rumbling. Last but not least they have announced priced and launch date. The dates will be November 11th for Japan and 17th for both America and Europe which his I must admit very nice. But the problem is well the price. As the basic console will cost 499$/€ but on this version you wont have wifi, nor Firewire, nor Memory car reader, nor an HDMI outrput so you wont be able to watch blue ray movies on HD TVs, as it is impossible without that output, and is included a 20GB hard drive. For the complete version which is shipped with 60GB of hard drive instead of 20GB, and feature all missing things of the first you'll have to pay 599$/€, yeah and that is really bad as I must say I will never get it soon as it is around half of what I earn each month. So many numbers were given, but honestly not so much intersting breaking news stuff.

Next have comme Nintendo, which I must said was the best of the three first you should have seen Miyamoto entering the scene to conduct a live performance of Zelda intro song with a "Wiimote" in his hand, the sound were playing depending on the rythm he gaves to the controler. We've seen many games for the Wii like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Corruption, Wii Sports, a Warioware game, Excite Truck, and Red Steel. The major demos were of course the new Zelda played on Wii live on stage, as well as Red Steel that looks both nice and interesting. The new Zedla will ship on too version one for the Wii the other for the Gamecube. There have been some new stuff about the controler we already know that it can "sense" it's position and all its movements and point the screen, the newest stuff are that the controler is equiped with a speaker so you can have sound from it, imagine when playing tennis the controller will emit sound when the ball hit :) next it can rumble which is not really a surprise, and finally, the second part of the "Nunchaku" is also sensing its own movements. The next stuff was about the console itself it will never really be completely stopped as it is made to stay always connected to the internet through Wi-Fi, and so come the Wii Connect24, when "sleeping" it can keep reiceiving new stuff for games and so on, and it wont use more power than an iPod. Ithink that was all of it the funniest thing were the three guys of Nintendo Saturo Iwata (CEO), Reggie Fils-Aime (PR) and Shigeru Miyamoto (game maker since a long time :p) playing with a winner of a contest the tennis game in a two vs two match, which was really funny to look :) The onlyd bad point is that they did not announced any price or specific release date yet.

To finish Microsoft, well here there is not that much to say much were new games to come such as Gears of War, or a trailer of Halo 3, some nice looking games for X360 and PC under DirectX 10 which will come with Windows Vista, like Shadowrun and Alan Wake, some cool trailer of the next installment of Flight Simulator. Some interactivy with the live stuff on both Xbox 360, Windows Vista and Windows Mobile. New hardware accessories such as webcam, HD DVD drive, and wireless driving controler. The weird thing being that the HD DVD drive do not have HDMI connector nor the Xbox 360 and it should not be able to output HD version of movie without that. After that the only other big thing is the coming of GTA 4 to the 360 in October 2007 (as well as on the PS3). That is all I really remembr of interesting.

Terramax
11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I was a little disapointed with all 3. However, as I get older new systems and games don't seem to have the same impact as they used to. Anyway, I'm rooting for the Wii the whole way, but I doubt it'll do well in the UK, where Nintendo has never done well, not even in the days of the Nintendo and Super Nintendo. But I'll be doing my bit to spread awarenes..