PDA

View Full Version : Mata Hari

Noone
30-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Hello Hal, Noah.

What part of Mata Hari's life will we see in the game? Will the game end long before her capture by french intelligence service or we should play till her final hour?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 07:15 PM
The game covers her era of fame, from her arrival and debut as a dancer in Paris until her final "Fate" - but what you think you know from history is only part of the story.

Noah

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, since we're not getting a lot of questions, I guess I should elaborate a bit on that.

DTP presented us with the idea of a game about Mata Hari, so we did some research, read a few biographies. She had a very colorful life, but in truth it was fairly sad, even tragic in a modern light. So we decided that if we stayed close to the official facts it would be a fairly depressing game. But with Indiana Jones we were already familiar with the process of weaving fact and fiction together, and so we came up with an interesting view of Mata's life that suggests that the history books only published what she wanted the public to know. Like many entertainers today she enjoyed having a public persona that was more glamorous than her actual life, and if you assume that she was a good spy and merely wanted the world to think that she was a dancer, or at most, a bad spy to cover her espionage work, everything starts to fall into place.

Noah

Noone
30-11-2007, 07:30 PM
So the story will have more "adventure" feeling then a "historical"?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Absolutely! We think the historical detail is part of the fun, and Mata meets a number of real people in her travels, but the core gameplay is very much classic Adventure, from the perspective of a woman who used her wits, her sex appeal, and her fame to her advantage, in a time when that was very unusual.

tenochtitlan
30-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Could you please explain the way you use dialogue options, thoughts or items as "symbols"? I saw your system at the GC 07 press conference and it looked very nice. Why did you choose that system instead of a classic inventory?

Agustin
30-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello there! Mata Hari's role as a spy doesn't seem to be have been fully confirmed - in reality, it looks like she was more of a scapegoat. For the game purpose, are you assuming she was an actual spy?

Noone
30-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Mata was a dancer. Will there be any dancing mini-games in the game? (just remembered dancing mini-games in Sid Meier's Pirates!) Or any flirt mini-games?

Hal_Barwood
30-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Hello from rainy Oregon:

We are using a pretty conventional inventory system, but dialog topics are integrated into that system.

first of all, we want to evolve adventure gaming, and dialog systems that exist seem pretty old and creaky to us. Our ideas don't necessarily solve all problems, but we think they're an improvement in the gaming experience.

More specifically, our system gets rid of the "see-dialog, then hear it" sort of double-hit thing that occurs when the player must make choices from a list of dialog lines. In our system, the player hears talk that conforms to expectations,
but contains novel expressions. It's a way of enlarging the entertainment factor in the game.

It also does away with dialog mazes (for the most part), converting dialog puzzles into lock-and-key puzzles, with the acquisition of topics the equivalent of acquiring items.

-- Hal

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Regarding her scapegoat status - that does seem to be the case. But of course if she were a very good spy then a cover story might be how bad she was at it, so people would let their guard down - and that would make for a much more interesting story.

And yes, there is a dancing mini-game. It's funny you mention Sid's Pirates game, I stole his swordfighting mini-game from the original Pirates for use as a boxing game in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The dancing mini-game is one of several we have included, primarily puzzle-style casual games to fit in with the Adventure Game feeling, although the dancing game does require a little timing and coordination just like real dancing.

Noone
30-11-2007, 07:51 PM
The dialogue topics in the inventory (as I understand it) could be seen in recent Belief & Betrayal game. But there they had a separate inventory for thoughts (notepad). As any inventory item is usually small in invenotry menu, wouldn't it be hard to remeber what thought inventory item means what topic?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 07:58 PM
We do have "tool tips" to help the player, and are adjusting things so the number of dialog items in inventory is never too large. But it will take some experimenting to adjust it.

Hal_Barwood
30-11-2007, 08:02 PM
The biographies all agree that Mata was -- briefly -- a spy. Some sources report that she was actually trained in spycraft at a school in Belgium, but that is not confirmed.

In the game, the player gets to improve dramatically on her historically reported failures.

Hal

Noone
30-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Will there be any mechanical puzzles? Will there be any decrypting of messages, finding right safe combinations? Or maybe using some spy equipment?

Hal_Barwood
30-11-2007, 08:05 PM
The game engine automatically adjusts dialog topics during a conversation so as to eliminate irrelevant material. --Hal

Hal_Barwood
30-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes, it's a spy game, so there will be some actual spying. Mata was a social creature, however, not a technician, so a fair amount of her work involves charming people into giving away information they'd rather not reveal. --Hal

Noone
30-11-2007, 08:09 PM
The game engine automatically adjusts dialog topics during a conversation so as to eliminate irrelevant material.
Thats good to hear.

Will there be a chance to "die" (or to be caught by intelligence service) if the main heroine will do something wrong?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Yes, it's a spy game, so there will be some actual spying. Mata was a social creature, however, not a technician, so a fair amount of her work involves charming people into giving away information they'd rather not reveal. --Hal

That reminds me of a statement for the press I was working on when Hal and I were at GCDC:

Unlike James Bond, Mata Hari doesn't need to uncover secrets using a bunch of high-tech gadgets concealed in her clothes. In fact, she often uncovers more WITHOUT her clothes.

Noone
30-11-2007, 08:29 PM
How much of her "WITHOUT her clothes" will we see? Will there be a special rating for the game (i.e. not "Everyone")?

Becky
30-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm trying to picture the dancing puzzle. (There was a dancing puzzle in Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon -- interestingly, I didn't see a single positive comment about it from the men who played the game, though the female gamers liked it.)

Will Mata Hari have a partner as she dances?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 08:37 PM
How much of her "WITHOUT her clothes" will we see? Will there be a special rating for the game (i.e. not "Everyone")?

To quote DTP:
• Are sex scenes in the game?
 Only off-cam. Mata will go to bed with several men, but you won’t see “the act”, only the pillow talk afterwards. Mata’s dancing outfits are quite daring, but you won’t see her completely naked.

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Hello from rainy Oregon:

I'm in a coffee shop here in sunny and unseasonably warm (about 15 C) Northern California and someone just said "I guess global warming has its good points"

dtp_Betty
30-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I definitly guess it is... ;)

Here in Hamburg we have about 0 (zero!!) degrees *shiver*

Please invite me to California! 8)

Quill
30-11-2007, 09:03 PM
This looks really nice and good to see seasoned professionals working at what they do brilliantly!

I have one serious question, though. Does the joke "What's the Mata Hari?" appear anywhere in the game? :P

Noone
30-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Haven't asked: will there be any alternative endings in the game? Or there will be tho only one - historical?

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Come on out, plenty of room! Just cross the Golden Gate Bridge, go through the rainbow tunnel, and turn left at Paradise Drive...

(sounds like a bad children's story but that's pretty much where I am right now)

Noah_Falstein
30-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I have one serious question, though. Does the joke "What's the Mata Hari?" appear anywhere in the game? :P

As the source of some terrible puns in the past (see my credits for Monkey Island 2) I have to say that even I would not go that far. Although I'm trying to work in some other phrases that people may find familiar.

Rowie
30-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Hello from Hungary!!! :)
I have one question, I hope you'll answer it.
What do you think, what is the greatest thing in your game? :)