PDA

View Full Version : On which data storage media Darkstar will be published ?

MichaelS
30-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Hello Jeff,

the game seems to have quite some amount of data, mainly due to the videos. Is there already any decision, using which data storage media the game will be published ? Several DVDs ?

Michael

J. Allen Williams
30-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Great question Micheal.

My dream was to sell DS on a "Darkstar Module" which essentially would be a tiny 30gb hard drive as part of the package. The game would be pre-installed and absolute plug & play. Unfortunately it's cost prohibitive right now, but might be an option to the media delivery option. It does look like multi DVD's is the way it will be done, but so much is happening with the media market that we are keeping our eyes open.

It is a daunting amount of stuff to dump onto your PC (for the PC side of the gamers), but studies have shown you guys don't seem to mind if the game is good. And most computers these days have plenty of room.

Anka DS
30-11-2007, 11:43 PM
As for the not so hi-tech persons amongst us...yes me...is it just space you need or does it also require a lot of RAM or what is it that makes your computer run fast or slow? I've got plenty of gigs but the damn thing even freezes sometimes while using a stupid video maker program. Maybe I'll just have to buy a new pc? ::)

J. Allen Williams
30-11-2007, 11:51 PM
You know, most computer games for PC out there are fairly unapologetic about requiring a fairly current PC as far as the gallery amount of power available (check out the specs for the Blizzard Games). You'll need at least 40gb free space and probably a 1 gig processor would be nice, dual gig would be optimum. But honestly, I don't think you'll need a NASA computer or anything like that. I wish I could be more exact here, but since we're not into beta testing yet I don't have any exact minimums to give you. I promise it won't require a monster PC...just a decent one.

Anka DS
30-11-2007, 11:54 PM
a new one, right, got ya ;)

I've got enough free gigs, don't know about that processor though, will need to put my head in that box one day. Am I really dum or am I just a girl? Probably no need to answer that...

J. Allen Williams
01-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Honestly one of those mid-line Dell's would probably be fine, but let's wait until I've got real specs from the Tribal Media folks. You will definitely need the HD space though.

Hey, you are smarter than me. You speak more than one language! I'm a stupid American!

matt_veenstra
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to chime in and send out an introduction from tribalmedia. We are helping parallax produce darkstar. Most PC's made in the last few years should not have any trouble playing back Darkstar. As for space requirements you will have the option to install the game or play from disc. If it is installed your game play will be smoother and more transparent.

Thanks for joining,
Matt Veenstra
tribalmedia

J. Allen Williams
01-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Hey Matt, I'm glad you were able to join us!

Anka DS
01-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Hi Matt! guess I will be fine then...And okay I speak three languages but that's no reference for smartness ;) Not all stupid Americans make games like this. Think they hang out at McDonalds or so...

J. Allen Williams
01-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey, I resent that. I hang out at Burger King.

Anka DS
01-12-2007, 12:26 AM
wasn't talking bout u either ;)

shae
01-12-2007, 02:25 AM
40GB full install! That's a nice amount of data. Looks like the dawn of multi-DVD games is here. I've seen a few of them out recently, and otherwise, DVD9 is also getting much more attention. It's time for BluRay!