PDA

View Full Version : One Day (2011)

VampAurora
14-08-2012, 06:45 PM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1028/onedayposter.jpg

Storyline:
Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their university graduation. We see them every year on the anniversary of that date - July 15th. Emma is smart but success doesn't come quickly for her, whereas for Dexter, success and women come very easily. Through the years they grow apart as their lives take different directions and they meet other people. But as they grow apart from those other people and their lives start taking opposite directions again, Emma and Dexter find that they belong with each other.

Additional Information:

Directed by: Lone Scherfig
Produced by: Nina Jacobson
Written by: David Nicholls

Starring: Anne Hathaway, Jim Sturgess, Patricia Clarkson
Music by: Rachel Portman
Cinematography: Benoît Delhomme
Editing by: Barney Pilling

Studio: Random House Films, Film4 Productions, Color Force
Distributed by: Focus Features
Release date: 19 August 2011
Running time: 108 minutes
Language: English
Budget: $15 million
Box office: $56,706,628

Critiques:

"One Day is a beautiful movie, but beautiful in a way that life often is, not movies. Nothing is sudden or easy, either for the characters or for the audience, and there are no thunderbolts from the blue." Mick LaSalle, San Francisco Chronicle

"It may not truly capture the complexities of its source material but One Day is funny, winning and entertaining - if little else."Ian Freer, Empire

"One Day, despite its attractiveness, never manages to find a way to bring the conceit fully to life." Shawn Levy, Portland Oregonian

"In a season of movies dumb and dumber, One Day has style, freshness, and witty bantering dialogue." Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

"The effort is admirable, the movie not so much, and yet, contrary to most pictures, it does improve towards the end. At least a little." Rick Groen, The Globe and Mail (Toronto)

VampAurora
14-08-2012, 06:45 PM
VampAurora's Critique:

I just watched this movie and I regret not having read the book first. It has potential. I believe it skips main parts of the story, taking the magic away. I believe it's a wonderful storyline, but it just can't be contained in a movie. I believe such a transfer would need at least 3 hours of running time, then again, that's just me. As for what I saw in the movie, it's a notable effort, which can be funny at times and can deeply move you. Great acting by both lead actors. I recommend this to you only if you have already read the book, unfortunately I hadn't.

Rating: 7.5/10