PDA

View Full Version : Rinoa interviews Matt Marcou

kiddoQ
16-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Rinoa talks to Riot Esports manager Matt Marcou about the life of a manager and how he found his way into Esports work.

DotA personality Rinoa has interviewed Matt Marcou who is the Esports manager of Riot, the creators of League of Legends. He was previously involved with Evil Geniuses as a team manager.

Talking about how his career took a turn towards esports:

"I took a job with a Fortune 500 consulting company after graduating college with a degree in Information Science. I spent close to 4 years working with financial system regulations, IT audit, and application access. I probably put half of your audience to sleep with that last sentence; I almost fell asleep myself while writing it.

Although I gained a lot of amazing work experience, I felt unfulfilled with my job on a personal level. I decide to start several side businesses and websites that focused on eSports and gamers. Once these ventures took off and I knew I could sustain a living through them, I left my job and competitive gaming became my full-time job, which is something that I had dreamed of doing since I was young."

Giving a peak behind the task of being an Esports manager:

"Managing an eSports team is definitely a unique experience and hard to describe at times, but it’s really no different than a very successful marketing project. I’ve been responsible for creating a team from scratch and converting that into a business opportunity, so there is very little that I haven’t done when it comes to managing an eSports team.

The main activities with any eSports team are adding talented gamers to your ranks, building the value of your brand, proving the value of your brand to interested partners (i.e. sponsors), and finally careful management of a yearly budget (if you are both good at what you do and lucky!).

Those may sound like very tedious and boring things to do, but they are absolutely necessary and are the reasons that talented gamers are able to travel the world and sometimes receive a salary for their craft!"

source : sk-gaming.com