PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Lag?

cte25710
17-01-2011, 01:27 PM
For some reason, every game I've played on RGC today I've experienced brief periods of absolutely unplayable lag, with pings reaching as high as 4500ms. I can play normally most of the time, but every 5-10 minutes or so the lag will start up and my ping will spike from 42ms or so to 600, then 1000 and so forth. I've changed nothing in my connection settings and never had this issue before, so I was wondering if anybody had some insight as to what the problem could be.

Is anybody else experiencing this same sort of ridiculous lag? I enjoy playing here, but I hate losing games because I'm 7 seconds behind everything - I experience this problem on no other gaming platform at this time. I also generally get disconnected from the chat server if I drop from the game when this happens.

bitchgotraped
17-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Please give your speed test results.
You can make a speed test result in here http://www.speedtest.net/
It will tell you, your upload and download speed.

Thank you,

NeC.madchen
17-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Like bitchgotraped said. Another thing you should is pping www.google.com 5-6 minutes. If you dont know how, this is good tutorial:ping from cmd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvPBb3aZlM)

Post results here.

marcvs
17-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Shut down all p2p programs , like torrents. don't just stop them, actually turn down.
turn off antivirus and firewall (test only, turn it on afterwards).
Check your pc for spyware (spybot search and destroy)

Check your connection as stated before.

Ks.M.Coco
17-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I have the same problem but its different a bit,My ping is 150 almost everytime,and ingame its 300 or 400,i tried everything to fix it,not working,i asked rogers about it and he told me its cuz i live far a way from servers,but the other "israelians" has normal ping.

cte25710
17-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. My speedtest results show a download speed of 92 mbps and an upload speed of 0.77 mbps. As for the ping results:

PING www.l.google.com (74.125.226.148): 56 data bytes

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Which is an odd result, since I'm assuming I shouldn't have 100% packet loss. I've had no P2P programs open, and I'll do a check for spyware in a bit; this just started happening yesterday and I've never had any lag issues beforehand so it's a bit strange.

bitchgotraped
17-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Well from the speedtest results, you don't face any problem from the latency.

Try signing in and playing a game, if you still suffer from lag and high latency, feel free to contact your
ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Your ISP should solve your problem.

NeC.madchen
17-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. My speedtest results show a download speed of 92 mbps and an upload speed of 0.77 mbps. As for the ping results:

PING www.l.google.com (74.125.226.148): 56 data bytes

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Which is an odd result, since I'm assuming I shouldn't have 100% packet loss. I've had no P2P programs open, and I'll do a check for spyware in a bit; this just started happening yesterday and I've never had any lag issues beforehand so it's a bit strange.
Wow, 1oo% loss. Ok now, could be a bad cable, router, modem. You have to test it one by one, e.g. put new modem(ofc dont buy new one, ask a friend to borrow it) instead of current one.

Then do again ping to google, but this time add "-t" and let it ping for 3-4 min. Like this:

ping www.google.com -t

To stop it press ctr+c.

cte25710
17-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah, issue is I'm at school on the university network so the only thing I can take a look at is the cable.

bitchgotraped
18-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Try using RGC and playing and checking your latency when the network is clam and not occupied with students downloading/uploading stuff.
If you didn't even notice a change of latency , I think you can report that to your IT university apparent/building/office.

It might be even Spyware. Make sure you clean your computer.

Sir Rogers
18-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, issue is I'm at school on the university network so the only thing I can take a look at is the cable.

That is probably your problem.
I mean university networks have a great capacity, however nothing is infinite, and torrents are very popular among students. It may just be that the university internet connection gets overloaded every few minutes. And it is probably the upload part of the connection, you can get incredible lag if either one of the two components are overloaded, upload or download.

Regards,
Sir Rogers

cte25710
18-01-2011, 09:21 AM
This is actually the quietest the university network would ever be; I'm at a winter session course when there's essentially nobody on campus, so there's very little network traffic compared to normal usage.

Just on a hunch (and the "bad cable" idea) since the wired connection here has been dodgy in the past, I played my last game running on the wireless connection and didn't have a problem. I would rather not use wireless, generally speaking, but if it saves me the lag spikes then it's worth it.

Thanks for the help, guys.