PDA

View Full Version : RGC on linux

nickpicks
13-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi,

is there any way to run RGC on linux without running whine or other windows emulators?
I would like to provide hostbots on RGC and a linux client for simple connection would be very nice.

Dako
13-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi,

is there any way to run RGC on linux without running whine or other windows emulators?
I would like to provide hostbots on RGC and a linux client for simple connection would be very nice.

Hi, I am running RGC on Ubuntu 10.10 everything works very well with Wine, if you have problems with running RGC on Wine, let me know.

nickpicks
13-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't wanna use whine or any other windows emulator. Thats the problem :)
Garena was allready so damn annoying with its windows only client. Many people want hostbots for garena or rgc but they all run on windows or windows emulations only.

Dako
13-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't wanna use whine or any other windows emulator. Thats the problem :)
Garena was allready so damn annoying with its windows only client. Many people want hostbots for garena or rgc but they all run on windows or windows emulations only.

I cleary understood you, where is problem with emulators, or host bot cannot connect with emulator?

nickpicks
13-03-2011, 04:05 PM
its a matter of performance. Lets say you wanna run 10 hostbtos. then you need 10 times RGC and 10 hostbots. So if you wanna run it with a windows emulator the performance will be very bad.

marcvs
13-03-2011, 06:08 PM
why would you need emulator for host bot?

you write a hostbot, compile it and run under some linux distro.

For bots to run, you don't need client. Client is here for connecting to chat servers, and off course bots, but it does not run bots itself.

Anyways, i suggest you to pm rogers, he will provide you with all necessary data for setting up bots.

nickpicks
13-03-2011, 07:01 PM
The bots are not the problem. I have the bots allready running.

I want the bots to be able to connect to your server. thats all.

marcvs
13-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Great.

Sir-Rogers (owner) will contact you.

Or try talking to some staffies when you come online.

Regards

Sir Rogers
14-03-2011, 02:36 AM
There's no "Plug-and-play" like with pvpgn servers on RGC at the moment. We have our own bots with a specific protocol. That's the short answer.

The long answer is that at some stage there will probably be a way to plug in hostbots. There used to be, but it was "the world is a nice place" api, and someone found exploits in it to crash the whole service, so I had to disable that service.

There may be bot-like playerhosting at some stage, and then bots would be usable with RGC, but right now they aren't.

Regards,
Sir Rogers

nickpicks
14-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your answer.

thats too bad cause i have a lot of people who want to connect the bots to rgc or use battle.net - rgc crosshosting.

Sir Rogers
15-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Thank you for your answer.

thats too bad cause i have a lot of people who want to connect the bots to rgc or use battle.net - rgc crosshosting.

I'm sure there are, and we used to have playdota.eu which was widely used, but as I said, the security and stability of the platform comes first. Besides the actual RGC hostbots don't have any battle.net functionality and they run at 1/8 of the cpu cost of a standard ghost++ bot. Talk about efficiency :-)

About the RGC linux version, I'm pretty sure there will be one in the future. I'll try a mac port first, once that works out I'll probably do a linux port. The client may even be open-sourced in the future, I don't know about that yet. I have too much to do to maintain an open source repository, I don't work with a versioning system, I just don't like them.

And once that hostbot/playerhosting integration does happen, you wont need a client instance per bot. What playdota.eu did was they had one manager that connected to all of their hostbots, announced games to rgc, processed host requests, etc. You could even have a one chat connection per hostbot scenario, like it is on battle.net right now. DAS.Ladder is the best league on RGC, but they dont' accept foreign players, it's a national league, that's why noone knows about it. Anyway they use an irc-style leaguebot, coded on the rgc chat api, which automatically scores the games etc. The chat api can be extended to include game announcements for hosted games by that chatbot/hostbot. Normal accounts will be able to host one game at a time, certified bot accounts won't have that limit. Actually it may be the easiest solution to make it as a one chat connection per hostbot style, because ghost++ tends to exponentially increase resource usage as soon as it's got a couple of games running.

Regards,
Sir Rogers