PDA

View Full Version : How to be a host of a game?

[shadow-x]
29-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Why is im having problem creating a game? Sometimes i got kick when i joined in their room for no valid reason, and really suck! Do i need to download some application to be a host of a game? When I creating a room, it is not visible to other player in the game list.

CowsGiveUsMilk
17-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Hello, what u need is to have (now i am not sure about the translation to english) solid (stable, still)IP. U may not be at any kind of LAN, that includes most of schools, odffice computers and also cyber coffees. This is when u want to host on Bnet. Another option is to download LAN emulating client and play via that - i recommend (as i am its happy user) garena (former ggc).

cibes
25-04-2008, 01:14 PM
i had a similar problem. I'm using a router and first had to create a port forwarding for the WC3 ports (6112-6119). After that hosting works just fine. You might also want to check firewall settings.

Executer
27-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I already answered here http://www.dotarank.com/index.php?topic=1062.msg5208;topicseen#msg5208

once again ^^

]
Why is im having problem creating a game? Sometimes i got kick when i joined in their room for no valid reason, and really suck! Do i need to download some application to be a host of a game? When I creating a room, it is not visible to other player in the game list.

Hi,

First u have to make a difference between Autokick and Manual Kick.
Many hosts use Utilities like WC3 Banlist and Dotarank because it helps them alot. WC3 Banlist has some options to enable a Autokick.
Reasons for a Autokick:

u are Downloading the Map and the Host is hosting a <NO Download> game
u are on the banlist of the host itself
u are on the banlist of a user (maybe approved host) who shared his Banlist and the hosts uses this list

Reasons for a manual kick are:

your ping is bad or peaks, so u get kicked because u would cause serious Lag
you are from a Country the host didnt want in his game (various reasons from lag, bad backbone, to many leavers, speech barrier and so on)
your dotarank is bad which means u are probably leaver
u rush the host, flame and similiar things. Who makes troubles in the lobby often first leaves the game or continue in the game itself
the host needs a amounth of slots for special reasons, like his friends, friends of someone else
somehow u made yourself look like a newbie and the host wants skilled/pro players
its a DM game without -WTF mode and u ask for wtf :D

u see there are many reasons for a kick and the amounth of players u have to "go trough" if u have some requirements to the players as a host is sometimes huge and u cannot write the reason for every kick.

My commendation to a player is
Choosing the right game:

choose a game for the right skill possible descriptions are: noob/newbie/beginners for low skilled players skilled for more experienced players pro for good players/pro players/"the hell i dont want any newbie!"
check for informations about the country and if your ping to it is good (same continent as example :D), sometimes the hosts write what he wants (nordics is often seen)
fix any network related issues so u have a good ping. Filesharing, wlan, others surfing/downloading with a shared internet connection are often reasons for a bad ping or a peaking ping
download the map before joining the game (www.getdota.com)

Behave yourself in the game/lobby
not rushing the host
give a ready signal once a minute is enough
dont spam
if the host cant ping u provide a ping from you to the host (better only if asked for it)
dont spam unrelated informations like countries, pings etc. the host asks for it when he is missing informations
write a information about a probably problem causing player only once (ping, ban etc.)
dont use your refresher if the host already has once running
dont call for a refresh when the host is already refreshing often
give the host time to do his tasks as checking ping, bans, looking up leaves at www.dotarank.com etc.
give a ready signal when host asks for it but dont spam to show you are there (not away)

I couldnt show u every decision that i have to make when i host, but i think the main road should be clear. If u really dont know why u get kicked often ask the host for this information so u could fix the problem. I myself try to give that reason to the player when he joins more often the same game (2-3 times) or whispers me and i see it.

cibes
27-04-2008, 06:51 PM
The question is - what was the question?
Looks like you interpreted it completely different ;D
Whatever, there are solutions to several problems here, let's hope somebody understood [shadow-x] ;)

Executer
27-04-2008, 08:49 PM
The question is - what was the question?
Looks like you interpreted it completely different ;D
Whatever, there are solutions to several problems here, let's hope somebody understood [shadow-x] ;)

The question itself is unclear, if he hosts he didnt join a "room", he creates (!) it and how he gets kicked? :o
So i assumed he gets kicked out of games alot and now whants to host so noone can kick him. ;D
based on this i provided the informations how to find out WHY a host kicks u ;)

The network side:
as long your Router provides NAT (network adress translation) u can play as client (as long no network problems distort the connection to the host).
For hosting WC3 the ports have already to be mentioned that has to be forwarded by a possible router or be allowed going trough a firewall. Otherwise players from outside couldnt reach you and noone will ever join your game (booring :P).

Kicking as a host couldnt really occur, the only "kick" i noticed when i copy&pasted gamenames which bnet didnt liked. I get kicked out of bnet for that with my IP blocked (Router reset/redial -> new dynamic IP helps if u didnt got a static one).
Another "kick" by bnet could occur if u refresh to fast (2 refresh/sec for some seconds ;D) your game didnt get listed anymore and so no new players join. I didnt remember if my IP was blocked afterwards too.

If u want to really host games u should know at least enough how IP, Portforwarding works and need full control over your Internet connection and hosting pc so it wont lag (filesharing, buddies surfing, Autoupdates, Virusscan and so on). A secondary Screen is also very useful. To get an idea why look here (other Post of mine) (http://www.dotarank.com/index.php?topic=1121.msg5210#msg5210)

In the end all informations needed to host a game are "easy" found with google, in FAQ's and various forum posts in the dota communities.