PDA

View Full Version : queueing spells - anybody can help ?

J0su
24-12-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi,

found a guide about micromanagment on dota-allstars.com.

One of its contents was the possibility to queue spells, in more detail:

U keep ur shift key pressed, then click on the casts you want to spell and in the order u clicked them, they are casted.

Problem is:

I tried this out and I cant get it work :-\, maybe somebody can tell me if I left out an important part(or maybe it doesnt work anyway).

Anyway, hope somebody can help out ! :)

Sir Rogers
24-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Here's the best advice I can give you: Don't do it.

I tried everything I found on the forums when I first started DotA. DotA is a fast paced game, queuing spells will cause you to possibly misplace your spells, as most spells are aoe spells, atleast where you could queue something.

The only thing actually worth queuing is Sand King's Ultimate when you have Blink dagger. So how it works: You position yourself in the embrace of shadows then you hold down shift, you press your ultimate hotkey, release the key, click on the dagger and normally cast it to where you want to blink to. Done.

Through the whole procedure you have to keep the shift key pressed, you release it when your sequence of actions is done.

The other situation where I use it is with a chicken. You load your chicken with 5 items, you normally dispose the first one, and shift click all others into your inventory and shift order the chicken back to base. Saves a lot of time.

calle-mit-c
27-12-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm not so sure about the SK-ulti + dagger working with queuing. I know i tried it a while ago and it probably didn't work, because if you queue those commands successfully i'd expect the sandking not to wait until the second of channeling is over but to cancel his ulti by acting too soon.

I did use queuing with my chicken whenever i wanted to unload more than one item, but now we have the drop-function on couriers and we don't need itemslots for recipes while forming an item anymore. So I don't use it anymore with that.

I still queue my hero-movement when I go for the rune from mid-lane for example and don't want my hero to take the path inside the river. And sometimes I queue my attacks on neutrals or multiple ranged creeps after a nuke-spell, but that does not really give you any advantage in the game.

When I use necronomicon - I know, only a few of you do - I usually have both summons focus on one hero. First I order them both to attack so they start running, then I order the archer to use the mana burn and then I queue the archer to attack again so the archer won't loose the warrior (the archer is the one with the endurance aura).

J0su
29-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Well, I tried it a couple of times bye now and I couldn't get it work.
For example I press on shift, then on stun (sven), then on ulti, then I release the shift key. The problem is that he casted the stun already before i released the key and nothing else happens.
Thats all through the heros - maybe i just make a stupid fault.
Thx anyway for the replys so far.

DEVIL[9]2
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
This is can be really usefull thing imo. For example when teleporting I always use shift button to select movement after teleport, so I don't cancel it exciently. Then it is very usefull when you combinate some impormant support hero's ultimate and Kelen's Dagger of Escape- For example Sand King's ultimate has casting time of about 2.5 seconds, so if you stay a bit ranged from enemy heroes and press 'C' (Epicenter) and click Kelen's Dagger of Escape to postion you wish to blink to, while holding shift, you will cach marked area in your full damage and slow period of ultimate. If you don't do like this, if you blink in and then cast ultimate, you may get stunned, disable, or distracted in anyway, and your ultimate is wasted. If you first cast your ultimate and then blink, enemy heroes will probably get about 30-40 % of dmg, so your ultimate is more then half wasted. This requires some practice and experiance but after few tries, you should get used to it and do it with no problems.

Phi
30-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Best way to train it so it becomes natural is tangoe-eat + shift move imo. Especially if u have to eat through more than one tree. But I only do this, when you are feeding and I have 2 balance you and roter @ yokr. :P

J0su
31-01-2009, 04:05 PM
hahahaha

gude_laune
17-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Using shift to queue actions and spells has its good and bad sides. As you allready explained it is most useful with the Sand King epicenter combination but with many other heros it will rather slow down your movement then increase the speed.
The reason for this is pretty simple: most spells have a casting animation which continues even after the actual effect of the spell took place. If you stack your commands with shift you will always have to wait until this animation is done rather then being able to cancel the animation by just moving your hero or casting the next spell by yourself.

You can also use queueing orders for your chicken so it will give you the items and turn right back to your base (6.60 will improve this anyway).
I also use shift orders to heal other units(chen creeps, sylla bears bear, dominated creeps) at fountain and bring em back after. Just send them with shift to the fountain and give him commands so he walks around in fountain range for like 20 seconds and then send him back to your hero. Using this you wont ever forget your healed pets at fountain again.

oa2000
29-06-2009, 03:16 AM
i use shift alot as you say with sk ulti dagger and when using chicken. its just something i learnt to do and it feels natural.

it is good to read guides, when i started playing i read most guides on garenas forum and it helpd me alot. but you cant read in to cloesly. try it all in a game and if it doesnt fell good dont do it. i would like to get more into the queueing bit of this but its late and i will go to sleep..

good night!

TyR)
29-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Queueueueing is a really important part of playing above average skill levels.
For example when you approach a lane, aiming to use Guinsoos first. Guinsoos Scythe has no castanimation/-time, so while you walk to the lane, you already click Guinsoos on the enemy and press shift for the next action (usually going closer to get ready for the next spell while allies start to beat the shit out of him).

While pulling you approach the creep, press shift and click into your lane. Doing this right you wont take a single damage point but sucessfully pull. (Check out the correct point to trigger aggro of creeps, for Scourge it is close in front of the clearly visible campfire.)

Sandking Epicenter Dagger combo was already mentioned several times. Additions: This should always be used, even if you have no dagger. Use ultimate and press THEN shift (while you are casting it) and go for the next action, for example stun if you didnt do yet or just move closer to the enemy.
It is important, also for the "epicenter blink out of the shadows" thingy to cast ultimate and THEN press shift since if anything takes Sandking's aggro he will first try to kill whatever attracted him before actually using ultimate when you pressed shift BEFORE Ultimate.

Although I am a newb with Tinker I can assure you that you save like a few minutes time a game using proper shift all the time (yes, nearly all the time). Casting Bot on a creep, pressing shift, and
1.) target an enemy with guinsoos, still press shift, target him with laser, still pressing shift, clicking somewhere near the enemy
(Usually you are faster than the Laser animation and will cancel it by casting a rocket, the last shift-action is just in case you missed the moment)
2.) without guinsoos/no enemy nearby: march near the point you port, still pressing shift, clicking on rearm, still pressing shift, make a move command somewhere near the point you casted first march
While tinker is moving to this point he did rearm already and you can cast second march and tp home
After every rearm and every bot-port you should set a shifted move command into the direction you have to walk next

Eat tangos and move on using shift whenever you are far enough from the tree that you will be able to click the shifted move command before you actually eat the tree. (If you are too close you will need to manually move on.)
In this case shift prevents you from going back after using the tango (since you usually have anything in range that provokes your hero to attack)

There are many many more situations you can and should use shift (for example with Dagger, going round a corner and dagger away with shift into a fog-part of the terrain without losing time or Dagger in somewhere and shift the stun for the same purpose or [...] ) and you just need to train it a little bit for enjoying its full potential.
TyR

oa2000
29-06-2009, 11:27 AM
this is as allways situational, when i am going up with any stun/guinsoo i want to get as close as possible before using it to get as much as possible done in its duration. the tinker tips sounds nice, i am not the strongest tinker player mostly cause i never get to play him in cws. i am not sure about the tree eating part i use dotakeys so i dont feel i need to use shift to move after i eat a tree.