PDA

View Full Version : My gripe with DotaRank

Orcley
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Put simply and bluntly... why are the people with host access, hosting public games? With public games comes the perils of newer players, silly builds, leavers, and endless frustration. My previous understanding of DotaRank was a "service" in which I can participate in for a leaverless, laggerless, quality game, with decent communication and teamwork. I thought to myself... "finally, no idiots!!" With the ingredient of public players, comes a bitter taste of annoyance when my ally does not follow up a nuke.

Personally I feel that DotaRank should aim a little bit higher, and make all games exclusively inhouse. I understand that sometimes there are not enough players, so we need slot fillers. I think there are better ways to do this than take the gamble of a public game (eg. friends lists/channel allstars.) Overall I think it will improve player quality. Ever had a horribly one sided game? Will putting 3 public and unknown players on 1 side remedy this? No, I dont believe so.

This rant sprouts from my recent ban, where my frustration peaked at a level 5 Viper being completely unresponsive and eventually leaving the game. Again, I understand that I cant expect my allies to be responsive all the time, people make mistakes (I make many myself) but this Viper might as well have been a bot. I was disappointed to find out that the slotfillers were the result of the game being hosted publicly.

cibes
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
There are different ideas as to what dotarank i supposed to be.
In my personal opinion i don't think we should turn dotaarank into a closed community. Players who want to play really seriously can join clans or leagues to do this. I see .arank as a more casual approach. With the hostbot and somewhat limited number of ranked games you might have a point that we could restrict newcomers. But inhouse games also require a lot of organisation: you need to get enough players together at a time in order to play or you'll have to wait - or host public ;). As far as I know hosts try to get all people from the channel in their games first. Given there are enough "dotarank people" it already is some kind of inhouse.
I hope - if you're given a second chance - you'll have more luck with your next games. :)

Friesisch-Scott
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
There are public games but there are also inhouses and I think it is good that way. How should a community grow if there are only private games? And Dotarank needs to grow alot ;)

Sir Rogers
13-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Put simply and bluntly... why are the people with host access, hosting public games? With public games comes the perils of newer players, silly builds, leavers, and endless frustration. My previous understanding of DotaRank was a "service" in which I can participate in for a leaverless, laggerless, quality game, with decent communication and teamwork. I thought to myself... "finally, no idiots!!" With the ingredient of public players, comes a bitter taste of annoyance when my ally does not follow up a nuke.

Personally I feel that DotaRank should aim a little bit higher, and make all games exclusively inhouse. I understand that sometimes there are not enough players, so we need slot fillers. I think there are better ways to do this than take the gamble of a public game (eg. friends lists/channel allstars.) Overall I think it will improve player quality. Ever had a horribly one sided game? Will putting 3 public and unknown players on 1 side remedy this? No, I dont believe so.

This rant sprouts from my recent ban, where my frustration peaked at a level 5 Viper being completely unresponsive and eventually leaving the game. Again, I understand that I cant expect my allies to be responsive all the time, people make mistakes (I make many myself) but this Viper might as well have been a bot. I was disappointed to find out that the slotfillers were the result of the game being hosted publicly.

I do understand your position and I know how frustrated I feel in some games. However it's not about winning the game, it's about bringing people together for enjoyable games. We all had to start out from somewhere and if I was a GM we'd have a lot more bans because I set the bar a lot higher than u.cant.win and our GMs do, but that's my personal opinion. And yes I do get frustrated myself and I see myself close to banning half the team for noobplay but then I have to contain myself a lot.

Anyway that was going off-topic. We will have exclusive inhouse games which might even be automatically hosted I am not sure about that part yet, we'll see.
There's lots in the making it's all going to come out in the next few weeks so keep tuned.