PDA

View Full Version : Dota rank sucks

UnyQue
14-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I miss the client

Hosting with game masters take to long. 30 min for game. What the heck.

We need new system or get the old system back online.

Flutschi
14-02-2009, 11:00 PM
30 mins? well, u see it in the chat, if there are less people, it takes more time..

for myself, i didnt had to wait at all till now.. so i cant compllain :D

and its just the start.. give it some time to grow

Sir Rogers
15-02-2009, 02:03 AM
I miss the client

Hosting with game masters take to long. 30 min for game. What the heck.

We need new system or get the old system back online.

Ok hold on there just for a second big fella. This is a quote from you going back to July '08:

]
Hi there. there is always abuser and flamers in public games and you can do nothing about it.
Its public and who cares.........

Do you remember what you stated there? You wanted a better system. Now have a look at what we got here and think about it for a second.

Yes true you can't just start the client anymore and host public games on your own and have them all scored. Sorry we've pulled out of the fairytale land.
Now you have to come to the channel sign up and join games hosted by the bot. True it's not as totalitarian userfriendly anymore as it used to be. But it's still very userfriendly. You don't actually ever need to visit the website or register anywhere to use the system. You just join the game and play.

Also there are no bugs and nomore exploiters that could hack the system, so all those problems are gone aswell. That is for the way you play, let's compare both systems:

Before we had a public system where anyone and could play and have their games ranked. Rank didn't mean anything, because it simply wasn't related to skill or manners and there was no community.
Now what we have is a community, a few welll mannered and skilled players that have games together. The ultimate goal of a system like this is to provide games which enhance your gaming experience. Now the old DotArank managed to do so in a limited way, the new dotarank can make your overall games so much better. There is actually a friendly atmosphere in the games and you can enjoy them without flamers and leavers.

Now mind you that we're still in Beta and I'm constantly changing the way it works by improving things. There's a lot of really nice features to come within the next few weeks.

J0su
15-02-2009, 03:04 AM
pwned xD

Kyro
16-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Whatever you do, there will be still a bunch of players and/or kids, who find a reason to complain^^.

Btw, I still use the old client and it seems like it is still working, right?
What about the idea to provide and support the new and old solution at the same time? (Inhouse and public hostings)

Sir Rogers
17-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Whatever you do, there will be still a bunch of players and/or kids, who find a reason to complain^^.

Btw, I still use the old client and it seems like it is still working, right?
What about the idea to provide and support the new and old solution at the same time? (Inhouse and public hostings)

The old client still works, but we're not supporting it anymore, since the original developer is not on board anymore and the code is a total mess it's not fixable.

The plan is to get a new client, which acts more like a social platform, so that in one day we can move away from the 40people-limited channels of battlenet and you'll be able to connect with players worldwide. But that's years ahead of now :-)

Kyro
18-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Ah I see. I didn't even know that the developer is no longer onboard... That's sad but I hope you'll find a new client soon.

What might be interesting is the feature to "ban" peon accounts to avoid abusers.
I think its more or less easy to gain 25 win on one race out of 4 in addition to random and since it cost a lot of time, many players would stop to create a new one after doing shit. Tbh I wish Blizzard will limit the amount of accounts... The fact that you can create accounts unlimited is the only reason why we experience this incredible behaviour of unserious people.

However, this is my opinion after many years and it is probably a fact too, who knows...

Kind regards

cibes
19-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think 25 wins is a good requirement for our community. I myself haven't played a single "normal" WC3 game in bnet - I actually bought WC3 to play DotA but those games do not count for this :(.
A good way to ban people permanently would be nice of course. ( I think dotaclient did somehow ban the cd-key of the account - anybody know more about this? )

J0su
19-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Cibes,

haven't seen you for a long time. WB :)
You really should try normal wc3, it requires much more micro and when you practice it some days....
It struck me right away that my dota skills improved.
Maybe we make some priv 1on1 these days.

Regards,
Yoshi

cibes
19-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, have been kinda busy lately
You're probably right about the micro - so far i've always tried to avoid those micro heroes like geo or sylla :D

DotAddiction
19-02-2009, 09:45 PM
well i have to say since the new rank sollution started i have a reallly good games:))
and its only beggining...
GJ rogers

Sir Rogers
20-02-2009, 03:32 AM
well i have to say since the new rank sollution started i have a reallly good games:))
and its only beggining...
GJ rogers

Thanks for the support :P

On the WC3 discussion ... I played the normal game because I was introduced to DotA by Chinese people and they were crazy about micro and apm and all that shit ^^

I managed to beat them after hard training but I really didn't like the normal game, it's way too stressful, where in DotA you can kick ass while laying back with an apm of 60 or something. And DotA is way more fun, wc3 is all about recognizing patterns and strategies and countering them. DotA is more an action-based game and I love that :-)

J0su
20-02-2009, 01:20 PM
("I played the normal game because I was introduced to DotA by Chinese people and they were crazy about micro and apm and all that shit ^^")

Heya!

Can I apply for a bootcamp somewhere ?
Like Uma Thurman aka Beatrix Kiddo did when she got trained by Pai Mei xD (Kill Bill btw)
I can brave hard training :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fktuYN19MI

Well... :), but you are right, its really stressing, no time to take a timeout.
Dota will be my big love forever^^

Regards,
Yoshi

Kyro
22-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Ofc DotA is more fun, but if you force the peon faces to get 25win, they also have to learn how to play.
Someone already mentioned the best reason:
Micro-Management and your personal limit of apm as examples.
It's a big progress to have matches without flamers and leavers, but I'm sure you guys do appreciate skilled players as well.

Normal ladder games are becoming stressful because it is not easy even though you don't have to play longer than 5-15min in average for each match.
Another point is that DotA is totally imba and that's why countries like Japan and Korea refuse to play it. (Btw what they play is called Chaos.)
Have you ever tried to play DotA on Kalimdor alias asia.bnet? You won't find a single DotA game. I was wondering and just opened a DotA and guess who came in^^. Eastern Russians and some other people... *lol*

If someone reminds the last year, DotA got a promotion tour in WCG Asia and guess what happened:
The most important countries didn't participate. They didn't even spend a minute of their attention for the promotion tour.
It was the first time that WCG Asia started without Korea and Japan. This was a historical shock for WCG there.

However, I'm playing DotA and Chaos since v1 and it's not comparable with the version nowadays.
IceFrog completely changed its image and gameplay with v5 if I remind well. Chaos was developed by Ana Clan, but their handicap is that they can't find someone, who would translate everything into English. If someone wish, I can tell you more, or just try to download it and check it yourself. The impression will please you a lot.

Ah and Im wondering that DotA still has no German version, but if you check the flags on getdota.com, it seems like they already provide Korean, Chinese and Russian versions...
It is a fact that much more Germans are playing this game than Koreans or Chinese... but ok, I think IceFrog still hopes that the Asian guys smell the bloodlust of DotA.